Some FCP questions

Hello,
getting to grips with FCP and I have to say I really like it. Easy to follow, things where you'd expect them etc. my only real confusion is the amount of choice.

For instance, what's the best setting to export in to create a PAL DVD (i.e. compression, bits, khz etc.)?

I tried to burn a quick DVD to test on various screens using iDVD* (which may have been the problem). I exported to quicktime PAL 16bit, 48khz. The burned DVD movie 'banded' on panning shots (though DVD and quicktime files looked fine on my computer).

I've got DVD Studio Pro, what's the best export settings for that?

Can I export to .dv files?

Ignorant as ever,
Steven

I would recommend doing it this way. Export your FCP sequence using Compressor (File/Export/For Compressor). Once the files are in Compressor select the file you want to encode for DVD and choose the setting for DVD Best Quality (16:9 or 4:3 depending on your resolution) and the closest length to your film (90 min., 120 min., 150 min.) Also select to use AC3 for audio. This will give you the appropriate compression while preserving the quality. You can then import these two files into DVD Studio.

Back