• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Slim to None Parts I and II

Part I:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-hCWbG2bk

Part II:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nazBoVsNSko&feature=related

A short that unfolds around Allen Grey. He has been hiding in his basement apartment ever since the outbreak. Unfortunately, he's been infected, but has found ways to slow down the process. After weeks of hiding in his apartment, he is interrupted by a less than wanted visitor.

Starring
Alex Dubois & Sam Lamonde
Written & Produced by
Corey-Ross Miles
Directed by
Warren Scherer

Part I:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a-hCWbG2bk

Part II:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nazBoVsNSko&feature=related

A short that unfolds around Allen Grey. He has been hiding in his basement apartment ever since the outbreak. Unfortunately, he's been infected, but has found ways to slow down the process. After weeks of hiding in his apartment, he is interrupted by a less than wanted visitor.

Starring
Alex Dubois & Sam Lamonde
Written & Produced by
Corey-Ross Miles
Directed by
Warren Scherer

I only watched part of the first reel. SLOW.

Sorry you feel that way, but thanks for the feedback.
However, edge-of-your-seat entertainment really wasn't the goal on this one... lol.

It's an experimental film.

PS: It's a CEGEP exit film (pre-university) with a film crew of 2 and film cast of 2, the second short film I've ever written or made...
Our goal was to use extreme minimal resources while trying to blend together motifs from the film noir, horror and psychological thriller genres; also shot entirely in candlelight. Secondarily, we wanted to shift the zombie conventions a tad. We also made use of a song composed and recorded by a local band from our college, and used the talent of a fellow classmate who does the radio in town to create the radio announcement. Everything in this entire production was done for less than 150$ and was done by a total of maximum five 20-year-old students. Many of the post-production editing techniques we used also broke a lot of conventions if you pay attention. It's a film to observe, like those old film noir flicks from the 40's-50's.

My genre in cinema teacher asked me if he could use this movie as a reference point while he tries to explain specific cinematography techniques used in different genres of film, as well as:

1. Film Noir:
Classic Anti-Hero
Web of Deceit
The Cynical and Obsessive Protagonist
Dark and Disorienting Cinematography
Gloomy Set

2. Horror:
Graphic Occurrences
Supernatural
Cliffhanger Ending
Pop-outs (jumpy parts)

3. Thriller:
Realism
Altered Perceptions.
The Mind, Psychological/Physical Changes
The Protagonist’s Search for Purpose
Death

4. Personal Decisions:
Virus vs. Stress
Survival - Man vs Man and Man vs Himself

Last edited:
Just watched it, I thought it was not bad! The acting at the start was pretty good, a really intense opening. After that, I tend to agree with CamVader that it became a little slow. I think I was also distracted by the graininess. I'm going to assume that you chose the grainy look to add to the overall gloominess, which is an artistic choice and I can respect that. The one shot that slipped through ungrainy (about 1:10 into the second part) looked pretty sweet and as a comparison I think it would be interesting to see what it would have looked like if clean.

Which brings us onto lighting for which I think you did a good job, in keeping with your film noir look. The tankards of candles is such a brilliant idea and worked very well, I'm definitely going to be experimenting with something along those lines! Again, I'm wondering how it might have looked had there been just a small amount of fill light to bring out some of the set.

Story-wise it was intriguing, but there's bits that I've either missed completely or weren't included deliberately that left me somewhat unsatisfied.
Steve was about to tell us something important, then Frank interfered and I guess we'll never know? Also, what is the deal with Frank? What happened to him? Is there any meaning to his incessant rhythmic knocking? And finally, suicide? I think it was a bit of a rash decision, Allen seemed to be a (mostly) well balanced chap up until then!

See all in all, I enjoyed it, glad I gave it a second chance after reading your detailed analysis (the first time I gave up because it felt a bit slow, lol... 20 minutes watching, plus 30 minutes write-up time, it's precious, man!) Although I don't think the pistols at dawn approach below is the best way of ingratiating yourself to the forum.

Now tell me, at 21-years-old, which seems to have been 24 years ago for you, what did you achieve?
What did your second production do for you?

Keep up the good work man and remember that light criticism is to be expected ;)

Indeed, the grainy look was decided to be used to give the film a more gloomy, uncomfortable look to it.

The fill light would take away the film noir aspect of having low-key lighting throughout the film.

Steve was going to tell Allen that he has now been getting some strange symptoms since Steve's been hiding things from Allen since he arrived. Frank was meant to be a mystery but he basically was a co-worker of Allen's at the island's dockyards, he ended up following Allen home after biting him, and upon arrival began to stalk him. Frank got the virus off of some container that came in from Egypt. It's all in the film, just listen closely, I think I'll write subtitles. Also, pause the film on the journal at the beginning of the film and read if you want lol.

Back