Since I am 17, I dont really know what I’m doing

Since im going to be graduating next year. I honestly don’t really know what I’m doing. Being Self-taught doesn’t satisfy my need for a proper education in the entertainment industry, yet I am so critical to the ones who want do want to help me. Will I always be just a beginner? How the hell am I going to apply for college when I’m not even sure I’m ready skill-wise! Despite being so passionate about art and stories, I hate anyone who deems themself a proffesional who tell me to “enjoy my youth.” Enjoying my youth will never stop me for my thirst for knowledge, please god send me someone as stubborn and strict As I am So they can fix my ego!

Well, kind of a bit to unpack there. Here's the advice I wish I had gotten as a kid. "Invest time in learning Unreal Engine"

It takes years, and is harder than most college degrees, but this thing has improved constantly for 20 years. It's free, people will help you learn, and about the time you have a grip on it, it's going to be photorealistic. You'll have a marketable skill, an amazing way to render your creativity without spending a lot of money, and a head start on the future of entertainment.

There are good reasons that people tell you to enjoy being young, and of course I second that. You'll spend the rest of your life trying to feel young again, so why look a gift horse in the mouth. But I also get your point, and honestly, applying yourself to what you're passionate about and getting a head start on the skills that will let you make that a career in that field is far from the worst idea. Don't spend your youth in a cubicle, but also, don't wait till you're old to get started.

If you want to learn filmmaking on a serious level, feel free to contact me once you're 18, and I'll try to help you get started. If you're as driven and serious about it as you say, we can put you through years of training and get you to a point where you can create professional grade work, via an internship.

For now, my advice would be to start getting experience with the most basic skills. You can do this with a phone. Practice framing shots, learn a bit about editing in some free software like resolve, and start thinking about how those shots, and the way you edit them help tell a story. No matter how advanced you get, you will always be using this core XP, it costs virtually nothing, and you can get started right away.

I've seen a LOT of imposter syndrome in the music and film biz with your generation. You've got to believe in yourself first. You already know you CAN. So... DO! Stop doubting yourself. Confidence is key. As long as you are serious about your craft.

Make something then show it to people who will be honest with you, but be careful, too many people will try to encourage you when inside they know you don't have it. Friends mean well but if they don't like your work, they will spare your feelings rather than give their honest opinion. Don't ask friends. Ask people who don't know you. The internet is a great place for unvarnished opinions. People love to tell people the truth when they can do it anonymously.

My point is this; you may want to be a film maker or an artist but if you don't have it, don't waste your time. Find some other outlet for your need to create. Do arts and crafts. Bake cookies. It would be a life better spent than one wallowing in mediocrity.

Last edited:
Back