Shrinking Harddrive

Just wondering if anyone can tell me why my Harddrive Free Space has gone down from like 80GB, to 79.5GB in a week or two. I've saved nothing, and i know that Window's does Updates etc. (which I guess are necessary?)

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Thanx

Dark

I'm surprised so many of you have your pagefile set to be at a variable size...

Here's a couple helpful pagefile tips:

Optimize the Pagefile

If you have more than one hard drive, it is a good idea to put your pagefile on the non-windows drives. Also, it is not a bad idea to set the pagefile to a constant size (1 to 2 times the available RAM), so it wont get fragmented.

Right-click on My Computer -> select Properties -> the Advanced tab -> Performance, Settings button -> Advanced tab, Virtual memory, Change button -> choose the drives and size available for pagefile(s).

(I usually use a non-windows drive, and same Initial/Maximum size to avoid fragmentation of the pagefile. So for example, with 1GB of RAM, a 2GB pagefile is a good idea, set the inital and max sizes to 2000 MB. You'll have to reboot after changing this.)

Another method to avoid fragmentation is to clear the pagefile on shutdown, by changing the following Registry setting:

(For those who have never edited their registry, it's probably best to skip this one, but if you feel up to the challenge, open up regedit.exe from Start -> Run and navigate to the key listed below)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

The key we're after is:

"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"

To change the setting, double click on the key, and a window should pop up, change the value to either 1 or 0 depending on your choice to clear it or not at reboot, 1 clears, 0 does not.

Keep in mind, having windows clear the pagefile at shutdown will make reboots and shutdowns take a little bit longer.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any damage that occurs from trying to follow this info... please only do so if you KNOW HOW. (I think this setting can be altered with TweakUI)

Back