Should I get a new camera for this one feature?

I was thinking of either getting the Canon 7D, Panasonic GH2. Right now I have the Canon T2i, and it has pretty much everything I want in a DSLR, but it does not have one thing, and that is color temperature options. On the T2i, I have to get creative and trick the camera, if I want it to come out with whatever temperature I want. But I hear with the 7D, I can dial in the temperature, to whatever I want.

So is it worth selling my T2i, and getting that one, or another one similar?

Get Magic Lantern. The same recommendation was made to you in another thread (by ZenSteve, I think). Spend your money on other areas of the film.

After two years here and 3,500 posts, you still haven't finished a single film. Your obstacle isn't the limitations of the T2i. Your biggest obstacle is you.

While I agree he should get Magic Lsntern. It's great, I use it heaps.

Buttt out of my own curiosity, does the 7D (and above? 6D and 5D and 1D) have the option to input your own colour temperature?

If you can find a GH2, buy it

I was thinking of either getting the Canon 7D, Panasonic GH2. Right now I have the Canon T2i, and it has pretty much everything I want in a DSLR, but it does not have one thing, and that is color temperature options. On the T2i, I have to get creative and trick the camera, if I want it to come out with whatever temperature I want. But I hear with the 7D, I can dial in the temperature, to whatever I want.

So is it worth selling my T2i, and getting that one, or another one similar?

harmonica - I sold my T2i and bought a GH2 two years ago. It was the smartest camera decision I ever made. No more fixed LCD, no more moire, no more 12 minute clip length limit, no more blank viewfinder in video mode and autofocus that actually works while shooting video.

You can get a store demo with the silent 14-140 lens from Samy's for less than $900CDN via eBay Canada.

If you can't find a new or used GH2 for a reasonable price, stick with the T2i and Magic Lantern.

Good Luck,

Bill

I can only say for certain that the 60D does. I don't believe the previous models (ie. 7D, etc.) do. I thinl the 60D was the first, but subsequent models have followed suit.

No, all of the models listed (7D, 6D, 5D, 1D) allow you to set the color temperature in Kelvin. The range varies depending on model. Earlier 1D models have a range of 2800-10000. AFAIK, all of the rest have a range of 2500-10000.

But whats the point of all that ? It's just crazy that you guys even talking about it.

Why in the mother of god you will upgrade from T2i to 7D when they have the absolute SAME VIDEO CAPABILITIES , only for the color temperature ?

Again , what is the point ? You can get magic lantern and just do it if that is your thing .

I would recommend just use custom white balance and grade the shot as your heart desire .

I might be very wrong but , eh..

But whats the point of all that ? It's just crazy that you guys even talking about it.

Why in the mother of god you will upgrade from T2i to 7D when they have the absolute SAME VIDEO CAPABILITIES , only for the color temperature ?

Again , what is the point ? You can get magic lantern and just do it if that is your thing .

I would recommend just use custom white balance and grade the shot as your heart desire .

I might be very wrong but , eh..

Calm down, I was just supplying information about camera capabilities. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, or suggest it was worth upgrading for that feature. In fact I agree with you, it's not worth it.

Well when I shoot for a whole day, I have to constantly take full cards out of the camera, and empty them onto my laptop. And keep on re-using the cards all day, emptying and filling them.

Magic Lantern has to go onto the cards, so when I empty the cards, magic lantern gets erased as well. I usually have to shoot in a rush before the time on the location runs out and I am too busy to be careful, not to erase magic lantern, as I have a lot to concentrate on. So I thought maybe it would be best to have a camera that can permanently store the option, rather than having to keep careful track of it, while preoccupied, and could easily forget.

Okey thats a pure nonsense now.

How the heck are you going to delate magic lantern ? it's not even remotely possible to erase it .

I mean its kept separate from the videos?

Last edited:
Well when I shoot for a whole day, I have to constantly take full cards out of the camera, and empty them onto my laptop. And keep on re-using the cards all day, emptying and filling them.

So.. rather than buying more SD cards (~$1/GB) you think that the better solution is to buy a new camera, which may very well shoot a higher bitrate and thus fill cards faster.

I have to agree with chilipie, you're making excuses and the only thing keeping you from making a film is you. Stop it!

Magic Lantern has to go onto the cards, so when I empty the cards, magic lantern gets erased as well.
I assume you mean you're copying footage off your cards, then putting them back in the camera and formatting? Magic Lantern adds an option to format but keep magic lantern, as well as the normal 'format the card' option.

You really should just have enough SD cards that you can shoot all day without having to empty them.

Magic Lantern has to go onto the cards, so when I empty the cards, magic lantern gets erased as well. I usually have to shoot in a rush before the time on the location runs out and I am too busy to be careful, not to erase magic lantern, as I have a lot to concentrate on. So I thought maybe it would be best to have a camera that can permanently store the option, rather than having to keep careful track of it, while preoccupied, and could easily forget.

Um no this is not right. When you empty them it does not delete Magic Lantern unless you do a full reformat, which you shouldn't do when you're just on one film IMO.

Oh okay, I usually hit put the card back into my camera, after making copies, and then I will select, format card.

It is still possible to format it, but when you do there is an option to not delete Magic Lantern. So you can still format just make sure you be careful :)

The reason I originally said don't format was because I just delete the files on the computer

I got nothing to add, just agreeing with the masses. 7D, vs T2i, is better for photographers, but for filmmakers T2i is just as good.

On a side-note, I'm finally convinced to join the Magic Lantern posse. Yeah, I know I'm a little behind the times.

Back