• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Should I be directing if I want to write scripts?

I know most of you will answer yes, because I should see how things work from the directing perspective.
Well, I did. I directed 2 shorts and a shooting day at an independent feature film.

So, as I said, I want to write scripts. Directing is great, too, but there are so many things to worry about... especially when it's YOU who pay for everything.

Yes, of course it's way easier to be hired to direct. You don't care whose money you spend, you don't care how much things cost. All you do is... directing the film! That's awesome! I did it once, directing a shooting day for a feature film. But, to do that as an actual job, you've got to spend SOO much money...

Another issue is after you do a short film, you get in such a debt, that you can't go searching for a job in the industry, you take any job, because you need it NOW. And that is the endless loop.

Anyway, do I really need to direct a film and get into Cannes or any major festival? Because it seems like it's the only way to become a screenwriter. It seems kinda unfair that I need to become a director in order to work as a screenwriter... Especially when writing and directing requires different sets of skills.

What are your thoughts about that?

The answer is no. There is no reason at all to direct movies, when what you want is to write stories. Of course, when you think about a story, you don't think black letters on a white paper, you think scenes, action, points of view. So, a screenwriter automatically direct their screenplay, but they direct it in their mind, they don't have to direct it in reality too.

Anyway, do I really need to direct a film and get into Cannes or any major festival?
No, you don't need to direct a film and get into Cannes or another
festival. You can get in by writing a screenplay that gets made and
entered in festivals.
Because it seems like it's the only way to become a screenwriter. It seems kinda unfair that I need to become a director in order to work as a screenwriter... Especially when writing and directing requires different sets of skills.

What are your thoughts about that?
I do not believe the only way to become a screenwriter is to direct. I
agree with you, that would be unfair because they are very different
skills.

Write scripts and find a director who doesn't want to write. Or find a
producer looking for scripts.

You guessed wrong: I think most people will tell you to do want you want instead of what you don't want.
Find a director who wants to direct or a producer who wants to produce so you can do what you want : writing.

Most people will tell you the opposite of what you thought they would tell you.

If you want to write music but not be in a band, no need to form one. You must write great music for others to want to perform it, same as writing flicks.

If you want to write music but not be in a band, no need to form one. You must write great music for others to want to perform it, same as writing flicks.
arrow-up.png

THIS!!!

There are many great directors who never wrote a screenplay, many great screenwriters who who never directed a film.

Yes, indeed, you're telling me the opposite of what I've thought you would tell me :)

Yet, I can barely find a screenwriter who is just a screenwriter. Moreover, I can barely find a director who never acted (!), or an editor who never wrote or directed. I mean, everything looks so connected.

I think you will find that many writers end up trying their hand at
directing at some point. But there are many screenwriters who are
just screenwriters. I can barely find a director who acts. Sure, some
like Spielberg and Scorsese have done a cameo here and there but
most directors do not act. Many actors give directing a try and some
are really good at it.

I can't come up with a single editor who wrote. Who are you thinking
of? And like screenwriters who direct once or twice, a few editors try
their hand at directing, but most do not.

You know, it really doesn't matter what others do. If you don't want
to direct you shouldn't.

I think you will find that many writers end up trying their hand at
directing at some point. But there are many screenwriters who are
just screenwriters. I can barely find a director who acts. Sure, some
like Spielberg and Scorsese have done a cameo here and there but
most directors do not act. Many actors give directing a try and some
are really good at it.

You know, it really doesn't matter what others do. If you don't want
to direct you shouldn't.

On the other hand.... a lot of directors edit there own movies.

I'm not talking about the A list directors like Scorsese. I speak of the less known directors, who don't have their names up the lights. Those who made 1-2 feature films, and now make a living by directing TV series or commercials. They kinda do everything, from writing to directing, acting, and editing. I'm not saying they're good at all of the above, though.

I'm not talking about the A list directors like Scorsese. I speak of the less known directors, who don't have their names up the lights. Those who made 1-2 feature films, and now make a living by directing TV series or commercials. They kinda do everything, from writing to directing, acting, and editing. I'm not saying they're good at all of the above, though.

Any examples of who you're talking about?

You make a lot of sense Inarius. But, but, but. Here's where you go wrong - on the most deciding factor. You don't have to spend SOOO much money. It's the other way around. People will send trucks loaded with cash to your door and empty it in your garage and when that is full they'll shovel the rest on your backyard pool. So, what's wrong with directing? Nothing.

I live in Israel. Do you know Israeli directors? Not the Israeli A list. Do you need the names?
Not if you don't want to. I'm just curious about your experience and
your knowledge.

Perhaps in Israel a writer must be a director in order to write movies.
I know very little about the business of filmmaking in your country. I'm
always interested in how it works outside of the U.S. I was offering
opinion based on my experience and knowledge here in the States.

Go to filmmaker meetups and make friends with filmmakers. A few years ago I was begging for content to film. I love brainstorming ideas but I hate writing scripts, so I went to all my friends that were writers and couldn't get any of them to bite. So here I am 3 years later writing my own shorts because nobody I know likes writing enough. I was offering money and still no takers. So meet filmmakers. Shop your idea and if someone is interested in making it, they'll let you know.

What you are describing is "Filmmakers". So yes, you often write, direct, edit etc. "Filmmakers" not directors, not editors, not prop masters, not screenwriters, even though they have those titles. But sure, they write. They have a passion to make a movie. Another analogy. A restaurateur will often head chef, line cook, market, manage, and even wash dishes. It's about passion. Do you have the passion to make movies or write movies? Period.

You make a lot of sense Inarius. But, but, but. Here's where you go wrong - on the most deciding factor. You don't have to spend SOOO much money. It's the other way around. People will send trucks loaded with cash to your door and empty it in your garage and when that is full they'll shovel the rest on your backyard pool. So, what's wrong with directing? Nothing.

Not in my country. Here you have to fight for every dime a make a film. :)

Not if you don't want to. I'm just curious about your experience and
your knowledge.

Perhaps in Israel a writer must be a director in order to write movies.
I know very little about the business of filmmaking in your country. I'm
always interested in how it works outside of the U.S. I was offering
opinion based on my experience and knowledge here in the States.

Sure, I understand it's quite different. I'm interested how does it work outside of Israel. What you're saying about US is encouraging.

Go to filmmaker meetups and make friends with filmmakers. A few years ago I was begging for content to film. I love brainstorming ideas but I hate writing scripts, so I went to all my friends that were writers and couldn't get any of them to bite. So here I am 3 years later writing my own shorts because nobody I know likes writing enough. I was offering money and still no takers. So meet filmmakers. Shop your idea and if someone is interested in making it, they'll let you know.

How come you couldn't find anyone who loves writing?
Were you looking for professional writers? Because if not, there are plenty of ppl who wanna write.

P.S. Do you still need one? :)

What you are describing is "Filmmakers". So yes, you often write, direct, edit etc. "Filmmakers" not directors, not editors, not prop masters, not screenwriters, even though they have those titles. But sure, they write. They have a passion to make a movie. Another analogy. A restaurateur will often head chef, line cook, market, manage, and even wash dishes. It's about passion. Do you have the passion to make movies or write movies? Period.

Thank you, that's a great analogy!
I'm passionate to make movies, which means I wanna follow a movie from moment I write the first word to the moment of the screening at the cinema. Yet I do not wish to put my hands on everything in the process, but rather hire professionals and let them add their own ideas as well.

Back