• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shots out of focus.

Hello guys.

In my job today i had to shoot in some places, but i guess that with this church things didn't went pretty well.

The sun was pretty intense by the time that i couldn't even see the image in display, so i used viewfinder instead. When i did the focus, i really thought that everything was fine in the viewfinder, but when i saw the videos in my computer, i realized that all those shots were pretty bad and out of focus.

If you guys dont mind, i've uploaded a video with the original footage if you would like to see.
How bad do you think it is? Can it be improved, even if little?

http://youtu.be/UgdleR4Odno

Thank you!

It can be improved a little, but you'll never get it looking like it truly was in focus.

I'd try an unsharp mask filter, set the 'amount' pretty high - 200-300%. keep the threshold at 0, then start with the radius at ~3 pixels and lower it until the halos around the edges just disappear.

Those are all static shots. Just go back and take stills and dub in the sound. Or pull stills from the footage, use photoshop and something like focus magic or smart sharpen, then put it back together.

Looking at it in sony vegas, I had better results using sharpen. Both sharpen and unsharp mask gave a bit of halo, but unsharp mask caused some unwanted extra contrast and artifacts. Sharpen gave some jaggies, but overall looked cleaner.

Last edited:
This might not help because I don't know what kind of look you're going for, but if there is a lot of artistic freedom with this project, I would just go for the "damaged film" look and embrace the blur. Add some textures and give it an old looking color grade.

If this is some kind of promotional "commercially viable" project, then you're better off just reshooting those scenes.

After unsharpen add moreblur to parts of the picture that dont need to be sharp.
It makes the subject look relatively sharper. (It's a dirty trick and not everyone will buy it :P )

Back