Shot Gun Mic / Audio Recorder Question

I am going to purchase the Sgmx2 Professional Barrel Shotgun Microphone by Azden by the end of the month. My question is will it work out plugging it directly into my Sony Nex FS100 or should I get a separate audio recorder? If I should get a separate audio recorder, what is a reasonably priced one that you guys would recommend.

Thanks!

My advice is do not get the Azden; it is not a serious tool for serious filmmaking. Do you really want to plug something like that into a $4k camcorder?

You would be much better off with a Rode NTG-1, or Audio Technica AT875. Much better quality and resale value. And you can always find something decent used, like the Sennheiser ME-66.

A separate audio recorder like the Tascam DR-100mkII or DR-40 would give you better audio quality than the FS100. The additional 24 bit headroom is always welcomed, plus your PSM/Boom-op is not tethered to the camera.

My advice is do not get the Azden; it is not a serious tool for serious filmmaking. Do you really want to plug something like that into a $4k camcorder?

You would be much better off with a Rode NTG-1, or Audio Technica AT875. Much better quality and resale value. And you can always find something decent used, like the Sennheiser ME-66.

A separate audio recorder like the Tascam DR-100mkII or DR-40 would give you better audio quality than the FS100. The additional 24 bit headroom is always welcomed, plus your PSM/Boom-op is not tethered to the camera.

Tascam over Zoom H4n? And what about the helicopter noise on the DR-40 (at least that is what one video mentioned about it.)

So go with the DR-100mkII.

The "helicoptering" noise of the DR-40 is due to improper recording settings. If you are using one mic/channel you need to set it to record MONO and not use the four channel mode. You cannot use an unbalanced mic/cable; you have to use a decent quality low impedance mic. Hey, what do you want out of a $170 unit?

So go with the DR-100mkII.

The "helicoptering" noise of the DR-40 is due to improper recording settings. If you are using one mic/channel you need to set it to record MONO and not use the four channel mode. You cannot use an unbalanced mic/cable; you have to use a decent quality low impedance mic. Hey, what do you want out of a $170 unit?

The first part is what I was wondering about. So it is due to improper settings and not something wrong with the unit itself. As for what do I want.. That is why I am here. I know nothing about audio other than the fact it makes or breaks a production.

Alcove what makes the Tascam DR-100MKII better than the Zoom H4n? Preference? Also do I want noise canceling headphones for the boom op or will the Sony MDR7502 I currently have be a good choice? I am looking to spend no more than $400 of my $1000 budget on audio as I have $600-700 in camera items I need to purchase.

Thank you guys for all the help so far.

Also do I want noise canceling headphones for the boom op

Noise cancelling headphones work by sampling the sound which is occurring in the environment and attempting to removing that "noise" from what is being played through the headphones. Ideal if you are in a car or other noisy environment and are trying to listen to music or a phone conversation but the worse thing imaginable for production sound! The headphones will be trying to remove the sound on set from the sound you are monitoring and as both are closely related, what you will hear in the headphones will not give you an accurate idea of what you are recording.

Regarding the Tascam or the Zoom, I'll let Alcove answer that, he has much more experience with location sound equipment than me.

G

Noise cancelling headphones work by sampling the sound which is occurring in the environment and attempting to removing that "noise" from what is being played through the headphones. Ideal if you are in a car or other noisy environment and are trying to listen to music or a phone conversation but the worse thing imaginable for production sound! The headphones will be trying to remove the sound on set from the sound you are monitoring and as both are closely related, what you will hear in the headphones will not give you an accurate idea of what you are recording.

Regarding the Tascam or the Zoom, I'll let Alcove answer that, he has much more experience with location sound equipment than me.

G

Thank you Audio Post Expert for the explanation.

Overall the differences really are fairly marginal; gear at the low/no/mini/micro budget level is all relatively equal. However....

Tascam products have a more durable build (one hard drop and the H4n becomes an expensive paperweight), the mic pre-amps are a little bit better, the DR-100 has physical volume controls, and for me the interfacing is a bit better. Also, Teac/Tascam has been making high end and mid-level gear for decades, and their experience makes it down to their budget gear. One more thing... You can get battery packs for the Tascam DR-100 and DR-40.

My sound guy has an H4N and I have a Tascam DR100. We have compared them and the DR100 is better all round while the H4N is noticeably hissier.

The Tascam's not perfect but at this budget level, it is noticeably better.

But listen to the real experts on here - I'm just a budget shooter...

Last edited:
Since Alcove recommends the Rode NTG-1, this looks pretty sweet. Though it sounds like more than you (or I) want to spend.

Rode NTG-1 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit

But, if that one reviewer is right, sounds like maybe the RTG-2 would be better since it has its own battery power?

Rode NTG-2 Complete Shotgun Microphone HDSLR Kit

Pricey for those of us who are low budgeters, but it definately just got added to my wish list...unless Alcove or APE sees something wrong with this kit. =)

The problem with the NTG-2, the Audio Technica AT897 and other mics that use an internal battery to supply phantom power is that they have noticeably lower volume output levels. This means that you need to increase the gain on the audio recorder, mixer or camera, so you get more hiss from the pre-amp.

The problem with the NTG-2, the Audio Technica AT897 and other mics that use an internal battery to supply phantom power is that they have noticeably lower volume output levels. This means that you need to increase the gain on the audio recorder, mixer or camera, so you get more hiss from the pre-amp.

I've used the NTG-2 and have not noticed a significantly lower volume at all, especially if the mic is up and close to the actors and aimed well. (EDIT- um though I haven't used many other mics...) That being said I was currently looking at purchasing my own, but what would you suggest for the same (or cheaper) price? As this is my budget?

Same with the DR-100 vs H4N, the DR-100 is far outside my budget and I'm happy with the H4n, I could only go with Tascam if it was something like the DR-40. Do you recommend this one?

So to hijack your post Jsthompson79

Last edited:
I've used the NTG-2 and have not noticed a significantly lower volume at all, especially if the mic is up and close to the actors and aimed well. (EDIT- um though I haven't used many other mics...)

You will notice a difference if you compare it to a more professional mic, one which requires external phantom power. Mic's (capacitor/condencer mics) need quite a high phantom power voltage (+48v), this would drain the batteries rapidly on mic with internal batteries. So the the diaphragms of internally powered mics are redesigned to use a lower phantom power voltage. The upside of this is that the batteries last longer but the downside is a significantly lower output level.

G

The Rode NTG-1 is essentially the same as the NTG-2 without the internal battery. The Audio Technica AT875 is essentially the same as the AT897, again, without the internal battery.

The in the mid-priced range would be the Sanken CS-1 ($850), the Sennheiser ME-66 ($550) or the Rode NTG-3 ($700) which many call the poor mans Sennheiser MKH-416 ($1k).

At the top end is the Schoeps CMIT5UAG ($2,300+), Sennheiser MKH-70 ($1,800), Neumann KMR81 ($1,600) and the Sennheiser MKH-60 ($1,500),.

Back