Shooting In A Hospital?

Hi there,
Ok here is my dilemma, in the short film I have there are a few scenes in a hospital. How do I do that? Is it possible to actually shoot in a hospital?

I remember one time I had to wait overnight in a hospital for someone, and I had brought my camera along for fun; I was snapping random pictures but one of the people told me I couldn't do that. I told him I was a student taking pictures for a class (which was true, sort of) and he said I could take pictures as long as it wasn't patients, inside rooms, forms, computer screens, etc. So basically I had some random hallway shots which still looked really cool.

We're not really going to be able to give you an answer on that... But, you know who could? I suggest try asking the hospital. Perhaps they have areas that are unused or might be able to refer elsewhere.

I would imagine you would only be able to shoot in an area of the hospital where there are no patients, which is quite rare, at least in Australia hospitals are always filled to the brim.

Your best hope would be a brand new hospital that hadn't admitted any patients yet, which would be a very small window of opportunity.

Better yet.. Ask a hospital if they have any old or unused hospital beds and other random devices that normally sit in a hospital room and find a plain room in someone's house and decorate it up to look like a patients room. Good luck

I've been involved in three films over the past 4 months that have all shot in hospitals..

Weird when you think about it, I would have thought that hospitals would be really hard to shoot in..

Anyway, one of the hospitals only allowed us an entire floor but only at night times which meant 12 hour night shoots starting at 5.. was not fun but we did get some good stuff.

Another one only allowed us one room for one 8 hour day which meant that there was no room, too many people in not enough space, hot lights in a small space making the room ridiculously hot.. So that was another tough one, but again we got some good stuff.

We shot DeathBed in a hospital... an old disused one, with permission from the current owners. Had to clean every room and dress it for each shot, but they turned out really cool (if we were doing a post apocalyptic thing, we could have left it -- it was a mess).

Disused hospitals are perfect, butcause you don't have to worry about privacy of the current patients -- and they look just like hospitals. We even got to shoot in an operating room with the big lighty thing! We shot light into it to make it look as if it were lit up, rather than washing out the scene with that huge flood lamp... and carpet samples EVERYWHERE to deal with the audio reflections, but looks cool as it could :) Easier blood cleanup in there as well!

Back