SGM-1X/Tascam DR-40?

Hi everyone,

I purchased a Tascam DR-40 in order to capture better sound for my Canon 60D. The mic I was using with my DVX100B and HVX200 was the Azden SGM-1X. Problem is, I can't seem to record any sound when I connect my mic to the Tascam via XLR cable. Just nothing, dead air. Maybe I'm not setting the recorder up correctly or maybe the two devices just cannot work together. I'm not very skilled at audio so I was hoping someone might know why this isn't working. Thank you!

Did you go through the troubleshooting checklist?

You've read the DR-40 manual, right?

Are you sure that that the DR-40 actually works? You've tried it with another mic? You've tried it with the on-board mics?

Are you sure that that the SGX-1 actually works? You've tried it with another recorder?

Is the XLR cable good? No bad connections? No breaks in the wire? You tried a different cable?

Are your batteries fresh in both the mic and recorder?

Are your phantom power variables set up correctly? SGX-1 = ON, DR-40 = OFF ---- or ---- SGX = OFF, DR-40 = ON
If you had both OFF you probably got barely perceptible levels. If you had both ON you could get a buzz or a hum, or you may have fried the DR-40 (quite unlikely, but possible).
(BTW, if I remember correctly, the DR-Series recorders default to PHANTOM OFF.)

The levels on the DR-40 were set properly?

You're seeing levels on the meters?

You actually hit RECORD and saw the TC counter rolling?

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Did you go through the troubleshooting checklist?

You've read the DR-40 manual, right?

Are you sure that that the DR-40 actually works? You've tried it with another mic? You've tried it with the on-board mics?

Are you sure that that the SGX-1 actually works? You've tried it with another recorder?

Is the XLR cable good? No bad connections? No breaks in the wire? You tried a different cable?

Are your batteries fresh in both the mic and recorder?

Are your phantom power variables set up correctly? SGX-1 = ON, DR-40 = OFF ---- or ---- SGX = OFF, DR-40 = ON
If you had both OFF you probably got barely perceptible levels. If you had both ON you could get a buzz or a hum, or you may have fried the DR-40 (quite unlikely, but possible).
(BTW, if I remember correctly, the DR-Series recorders default to PHANTOM OFF.)

The levels on the DR-40 were set properly?

You're seeing levels on the meters?

You actually hit RECORD and saw the TC counter rolling?

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

The on-board mics on the DR-40 do work and work well. I get pretty good audio from those alone but of course I'm shooting for better than "pretty good." I don't currently own another mic (other than Rode Videomic that I plug into the hotshoe of my 60D) so I currently can't test another mic. I have used my Azden SGM-1X previously with positive results, just not with the Tascam before trying recently. I see the TC counter rolling when I record but I see no levels. Occasionally I may see a level if I rub my hand on the mic or something like that, but no useable audio has ever come from it. There is a chance that the issue may be a Phantom power issue as I'm not sure which either are set to right now.

EDIT: Also, I see this from B&H about Azden's SGM-1X Phantom Supply: Uses 1 "AAA" battery (lasts approx. 1,000 hours), eliminating the need for a phantom power supply. Would I still put Phantom supply on Tascam?

Last edited:
Most mics that use a battery as a part of the internal phantom power scheme still require that a battery be installed even when not using the mics internal phantom power.

You did check this, right?
SGX-1 = ON, DR-40 = OFF ---- or ---- SGX = OFF, DR-40 = ON

Most mics that use a battery as a part of the internal phantom power scheme still require that a battery be installed even when not using the mics internal phantom power.

You did check this, right?

Yes, I do have a battery in there although it's possible it could use a new battery. For the Tascam settings, I'm setting it to "Mono" and I think what it called "Ext. 1". I believe I want to select the "line" option and not the "mic" option on the side of the device. When I get home tonight I will try switching out the battery in case it's something little like that.

Yes, I do have a battery in there although it's possible it could use a new battery.

Put in a new battery, it's not all that expensive....

For the Tascam settings, I'm setting it to "Mono" and I think what it called "Ext. 1".

Although correct (as long as your mic is plugged into "EXT 1") that has to do with track assignments and routing, not the phantom power. BTW, you may want to explore the "DUAL MONO" input routing.

I believe I want to select the "line" option and not the "mic" option on the side of the device.

Sighhhhhhh... What are you plugging into the DR-40? A Mic!!!!!!!! Select the "MIC" option. That will probably solve your problem.

Now for an extra freebee....

Mics that supply use an internal battery powered phantom power supply scheme - most notably the Rode NTG-2 and Audio Technica AT897, although there are others - are notorious for low output levels, as much as -4dB. I personally don't know about the SGX-1, but I suspect that it will also have low output levels.

Put in a new battery, it's not all that expensive....

Although correct (as long as your mic is plugged into "EXT 1") that has to do with track assignments and routing, not the phantom power. BTW, you may want to explore the "DUAL MONO" input routing.

Sighhhhhhh... What are you plugging into the DR-40? A Mic!!!!!!!! Select the "MIC" option. That will probably solve your problem.

Now for an extra freebee....

Mics that supply use an internal battery powered phantom power supply scheme - most notably the Rode NTG-2 and Audio Technica AT897, although there are others - are notorious for low output levels, as much as -4dB. I personally don't know about the SGX-1, but I suspect that it will also have low output levels.

I have actually tried both "line" and "mic" without success but hopefully with these new tips I'll have better luck. For some reason the last time I tried I convinced myself to believe that "Mic" referred to the built-in mic on the recorder.

It could be that I am recording audio, but perhaps the output level is so low it isn't picking anything up? I wonder if there is a good budget mic, under $300, that would pair up well with the DR-40.

Last edited:
Here's what you do...

Read the manual.

Put in fresh batteries all around.

Get a new XLR cable.

Read the manual again.

Read the manual one more time.

I'm sorry to come off as flippant, but everything you need to know is in there. If there's anything that confuses you, come back with questions; I understand that some terminology may be unfamiliar, and it may be taken for granted that there are other audio things you already know which you do not.

I wonder if there is a good budget mic, under $300, that would pair up well with the DR-40.

Rode NTG-1
Audio Technica AT875
You can probably find a used Sennheiser ME-66 in that price range.

Unfortunately, I tried everything tonight. I've switched batteries, I've tried using the recorder on "mic" and "mic + phantom." It usually records a completely silent track. One of the tracks had some crackling on it and that was it. Sometimes I could tap the microphone and it would pick up the "thump" but if I speak there is nothing there. Looks like I may be looking into a new mic.

EDIT: Okay, it works. I wish I could explain how. I used the exact same settings I've always used. At one point, in a last ditch effort, I flicked the mic's power off and then back on again. And for the first time it randomly started working. Audio sounds great. Thanks Alcove for your help through this all.

Last edited:
For future viewers of this thread with the same problem, I believe watching this tutorial: http://vimeo.com/29206731 will help a lot of you. I was having the same problem and oddly enough, I didn't need to change the position of the sliding witch on the side with labels "mic, line, line+phantom." Fixing the problem required leaving that switch on mic and changing the input within the visual interface of the device. That tutorial shows how to more specifically make this change very early on in the video.

Back