Sexy Shoulder Mounts

Bushhawk looked really interesting. The choice might come down to the type of stabilization: gun stock vs shoulder mount. I wonder what would be more stable. Will either of the option yield good result for shooting-while-walking situations.

found this quote from online about it:
http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13308&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Gunstocks are very different means of stabilization, some people love them some hate them. I stole an older photo gunstock off of ebay for 12 bucks, same principle as the bushawk but an older piece. after tearing out the shutter release cable and the strap it's a nice run and 'gun' stabilizer.

The main difference in how a gunstock works from say a shouldermount is that you're locking it into your body as opposed to sitting it on your body. big difference, a shouldermount merely sits the weight on your body, and your hands can move the rig all over the place. but a gunstock's purpose is to lock the camera into your upper torso, so that your entire body is now the motion of the camera. i do like this way of shoot, sometimes being referred to as the human steadicam/human jib.

There are always caveats, and one that i've noticed is that when using a vertical grip it sets the center of gravity a tad high. not a huge deal, but a consideration.

I wonder if shoulder mount would be necessary for narrative film production. Although it might come in handy in location shoot where space is too cramped for tripod.

thought?

Hmm.

The bigger heavier stuff seems to make sense on a shoulder mount, but with a dslr sized body (or other reasonable small cam like an hvx or something) the gunstock style seems appealing.

Honestly, most of the shoulder mount rigs for dslr(especially the ones that hang an oversized battery off the back for counterweight) just seem over complicated and have to have weird bits to get the lcd/finder to your eye. (IMO) The gunstock just seems like a simple, elegant solution to a problem that's getting overcomplicated by an odd love for iris rods. :)

I had no idea these existed, much less have been around forever. (It makes sense) Might try to snag an older one off e-bay just as a test and modification prototype. I'd have to try it to see if I prefer it to a shoulder mount config. I do shoot some rifle shooting, so familiar with the position at the least. :D I can forsee some configurations where it would be problematic. Might be in the shot on a wide enough lens, for example.

Last edited:
Okay, first of all, they are not sexy. Second of all, you're not supposed to link to competing forums. Third of all, it's late at night, and it appears I'm the only person on here. Fourth of all, I'd like to ask an honest two-part question of those who prefer shoulder-mounts.

--Would I be correct to assume that you have a history of using larger, professional cameras, that simply MUST be mounted on your shoulder, for support?
-- Have you tried simply holding your tiny-little-feather-weight-DSLR in your steady hands, elbows locked by your side?

Unless you're doing follow-focus, I see no reason for a shoulder mount.

Cool, I was waiting all night for a reply. Just pacing back and forth, nervously. Sleep is just too trivial for something as important as this.

I think you guys saved me 500 bucks. I had the whole set up in the cart. Gonna have to do some strength training or something, because I have shaky hands.

Seriously I feel like Ive seen couple of posts where people have swore by 'em.

hmmmmmm

Cool, I was waiting all night for a reply. Just pacing back and forth, nervously. Sleep is just too trivial for something as important as this.

I think you guys saved me 500 bucks. I had the whole set up in the cart. Gonna have to do some strength training or something, because I have shaky hands.

Seriously I feel like Ive seen couple of posts where people have swore by 'em.

hmmmmmm

Have you seen Adorama's $45 shoulder mount? I've used it with a 550D and thought it was fantastic for the money - even if you don't like it, it's not a massive investment (though I was borrowing it from a friend, so I suppose I would say that).

Even without a follow focus, I much preferred using it with the shoulder mount; it seems to stop a lot of the micro jitters you get after going handheld for a long time. It's not the best for every situation, mind - walking with it isn't that great (but you can fold up the chest arm and use it as a handle), and long lenses/heavy rigs can make your breathing affect the picture, but for general handheld use where you just want to be a bit more mobile, it's brilliant.

I hate the price jackups...it's ridiculous. Like those Gorilla ones...over 1K for a couple of pipes clamped together? What a jip. It's ridiculous.

You'd be better of making your own at that point.

I think in some situations they might be pretty handy, but at the same time when I look at them I see that guy on the bus with the broken neck (medical recuperation apparatus) “cage” thing, and it’s so not sexy.

It’s cool that at least some are within reason as far as prices goes. I snapped at the ‘one more thing’ I can’t afford, like 110 things ago.

-Thanks-

After seeing the price tag on Cinevate's Uno rig I decided to make my own. I've got 16 years experience as a machinist and I have a lathe/mill combo so other than my time and some screws I'm not out a whole lot of cash. My materials bill would be a lot higher but I had most of what I needed already (aluminum & stainless bar stock, ABS plastic plate, etc). I don't have any photos of it yet, but I will when it's done if anyone is interested. I have to make a hand grip and finish the adjustable camera mounting plate. So far it's all been eyeballed, so I don't have any hard measurements other than making the rail out of 1/2" stainless round stock. I made all my clamps from aluminum round stock (1" and 1.5" dia.) and bent the shoulder mount from flat aluminum bar stock. I added a shoulder pad from Maxpedition.com for $9. So far it feels comfortable. The only thing I don't like is that I have to give up on the quick adjustment knobs and use set screws. The knobs don't allow for enough pressure when tightening them and the bar can move. I'm looking forward to getting it all put together so I can try it out. I also made a follow focus ring out of ABS to go with this.

Back