Setting ISO on Canon XL-2

My friend has one, and I don't get it either, I've seen alot of videos were people make some cool shit with the XL2, I can't figure it out. we shoot and it always just looks like we shot with a handicam. type in FCRabbath on youtube. bug him and try to get him to tell you his secrets. they look like films but they're all XL2 videos...its crazy

well, I know people use a ground glass accessory to acheive a film look. Maybe the camera just sets the ISO as low as possible based on the settings and conditions its in?

In electronic sensor terms, it's called "gain". The ISO is fixed, based on the gain setting you choose. If you want the sensor to be more light sensitive, you bump the gain setting up to it's next setting, which increases sensitivity but also amplifies noise. The camera has an ISO equivalent at each gain setting, we just don't know exactly what it is, and I'm not sure it would be very useful, if we did.

You could figure it out with a gray card and some tests.

type in FCRabbath on youtube. bug him and try to get him to tell you his secrets. they look like films but they're all XL2 videos...its crazy

I know it's been a while since this post has been posted on, but FC Rabbath said that he used ground glass plus colorization! That's a serious biggie! Notice that no films use all natural colors, you've got to adjust your colors.

I know it's been a while since this post has been posted on, but FC Rabbath said that he used ground glass plus colorization! That's a serious biggie! Notice that no films use all natural colors, you've got to adjust your colors.

Actually i used the ground glass on 2 films that aren't even online anymore on close up shots and we used natural colors from the camera. It's all from the XL2, but there are no secrets - just finding the right lighting.

ZelloBros, how did u even find this post?

Actually i used the ground glass on 2 films that aren't even online anymore on close up shots and we used natural colors from the camera. It's all from the XL2, but there are no secrets - just finding the right lighting.

ZelloBros, how did u even find this post?

Oh okay, good to know. I've been a fan of your work for years and it actually expired me to get an XL. And I just bought my first XL so I was looking at posts about the camera. That's how I found the post.

Back