Secondary source, or XLR Adapter?

Greetings, I'm new to this site, and so far it's been pretty damn informative!!

I recently picked up the Canon T2i to shoot some short films/ documentaries, and was curious as to whether I should get an XLR adapter to record on- camera sound, or get a recorder and slate.....Any thoughts, or opinions?

Thanks a lot!

I just shot a feature with the T2i. I think you should get a Zoom H4n. The T2i has an automatic gain on external audio. There is a device out there that purports to turn that auto-gain off. However, I know a dude who knows a dude who had bad experiences with that device.

Besides, and this is the bottom-line, the XLR adapter is MORE EXPENSIVE than the freaking H4n, which will unquestionably get better audio. Plus, the hassle of having to sync sound in post is more than made up by the fact that your camera will be free from any pesky wires during production.

Two months ago, I was asking the same question. As far as I'm concerned, it's a no-brainer. Get the H4n.

Thank you! That was definitely a concern after seeing how large and unwieldy they seem after the device is on, plus the mic mounted on top....it just seemed a tad ridiculous. I'll check out the h4n.

The H4n is a passable no-budget solution, but keep in mind it's at the bottom of the digital field recorder food chain. You cannot easily adjust mic volumes on the fly, when used to supply phantom power it eats batteries at a ferocious rate, it does not accept line level input without substantial padding (-40db minimum), and one big drop will turn it into a $300 paper weight. However, it does do a passable job, although the mic pres are a little harsh for my taste.

Great audio is all about knowledge and technique; the more you know the more you can get out of your gear.

The H4n is a passable no-budget solution, but keep in mind it's at the bottom of the digital field recorder food chain. You cannot easily adjust mic volumes on the fly, when used to supply phantom power it eats batteries at a ferocious rate, it does not accept line level input without substantial padding (-40db minimum), and one big drop will turn it into a $300 paper weight. However, it does do a passable job, although the mic pres are a little harsh for my taste.

Great audio is all about knowledge and technique; the more you know the more you can get out of your gear.

I definitely was not trying to pass off the H4n as if it were the best thing out there. Since the OP bought a T2i, I made the assumption that he/she is working on a dime. Just as the T2i is the least expensive camera you can get that will produce somewhat quality results, so to for the H4n. It's the best of the inexpensive, no?

Well it's true. A passable no-budget solution is pretty much what I'm seeking. Considering no budget is what I'm working with. I'm a strong believer that the less you have to work with, the more creative and innovative one becomes.

Back