• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Script Doctors

Are script doctors worth the money and if so who are of the ones you guys have worked with? I reformatted my 1st script and I bet it still needs the pro touch to it. Any of you out there script docs?

An experienced script doctor will rewrite your script into
something sellable. They don’t get screen credit and they don’t
share in the revenue. A good one can make the difference between a
script that is sellable and one that isn’t. So they charge a lot.

Are you sure that’s what you need?

Well no I'm not sure that it but I think I could really benefit from feedback from people who have written some scripts already. I'm mostly worried about the formatting of the script.

Well no I'm not sure that it but I think I could really benefit from feedback from people who have written some scripts already. I'm mostly worried about the formatting of the script.

If you think formatting is your only issue, you should just:
1. get a book on formatting
2. read produced scripts

That will save you a lot of money.

Script doctors...

Are script doctors worth the money and if so who are of the ones you guys have worked with? I reformatted my 1st script and I bet it still needs the pro touch to it. Any of you out there script docs?

...Are definitely worth the money. That's why we get paid a lot of money to do what we do. In fact, I make more money fixing screenplays than I do writing specs.

The bad news is that you probably can't afford one.

I think you're right... Get some feedback and learn more about writing screenplays and just keep forging ahead.

filmy

I'm mostly worried about the formatting of the script.

And that is probably the easiest part of writing a screenplay, so my guess is that your script has serious problems that you are not aware of.

I always like the free solutions. So start by swapping scripts with some other people and giving each other feedback. You will learn from reading other people's scripts and trying to figure out why they don't work.

Some people will not be at your level - but that's okay, because you aren't married to them. Keep doing this until you find people who are a good match with you. Work out all the obvious bugs this way.

Next, when you think the script is perfect and ready to go... maybe send it to a reader who moonlights and does coverage for writers on the side. I know a couple of people who do that, and they charge in the $60-$75 range. That will give you an idea of where your script is when you submit it - and the guys I know who do this give notes on top of the coverage that will help you with problems.

The format stuff is monkey-see/monkey do. The rest of the stuff requires skills that most monkeys do not have.

- Bill

Well I use Final Draft and even through it does the formatting as you go, I just have a weird feeling that the formatting maybe off. And I do read scripts but no where near what you guys say one should read.

Thanks for the feedback it is something to think about.

Like directorik said, if you are using Final Draft chances are that your formatting is just fine. The thing is there is so much more to a screenplay that even a powerful tool like Final Draft does not a great script make.

There are different approaches to writing a screenplay - some of us sit in front of the computer and just write. Others, do the development work - pre-production if you will - up front before we even write FADE IN. I am a pre-prod, homework type of guy myself and can say that there are numerous approaches and tools - Dramatica, Save the Cat, Contour, etc. - that can help with story and character development. Either way it's a process that, when done correctly, should take time.

For me, the first draft is always from the heart - I spill my guts the way I dream, envision or see the story. All drafts after that come from the head - where craft, style, technique and skill take the driver seat and I strive to forge a tight story. This is the phase where you tackle things that aren't working in your script. It could be a humbling experience and you often battle feelings of "this isn't working" - especially if you skimped on the development phase. Perhaps that's where you are in the process? I don't know just guessing, as I don't have the whole picture from your post. Either way, I have a strong feeling Final Draft is doing the formatting business for you but like any tool it can only go so far. The rest, as they say, is up to you. Good luck with your work.

Last edited:
If you think formatting is your only issue, you should just:
1. get a book on formatting
2. read produced scripts

That will save you a lot of money.

Agreed (I seem to do that with a lot of your posts). It doesn't hurt to get some added perspective, but it's hardly essential or the only way to a finished, polished script.

Agreed (I seem to do that with a lot of your posts).

:lol:

I have to agree with wcmartell too. Formatting is the absolute easiest part of screenwriting.
Chances are very good that if you are worried about formatting, there are other serious flaws with your writing.
Don't take that the wrong way Buck, there is hope if that's the case. It can all be fixed; you'll just need to spend some time studying the craft.

Well I just got a rejection letter (no biggie) from an agent who said my format was just slightly off but did not say any more than that as far as the format goes. I have checked out scripts online and and am using Final Drift and don't see what he's talking about. Now my question is is there a way to post my script on here or somewhere online so folks who have written scripts can take a look at it and help me out?

Hey, Buck

email me the script and I'll post it up and provide a link

m.charles @ comcast.net (remove spaces)

I agree with others that if the formatting is "just slightly off," and you still experience rejections, it's likely the least of your problems.

-Charles

I do not know if this helps. Hope it does. Sorry for length, (damn writers!).
Formatting is important (I use Final Draft) -- but many incorrectly formatted scripts have been sold and made into successful movies. IT IS THE STORY THAT MATTERS!
I write a lot -- because I love writing (it is not drudgery). Have over 30 scripts in various stages, from rough draft to polished. Some scripts have been worked on for over a decade because I never give up on my ideas (the scripts) or the dream of taking the script to screen (myself). These are movies I want to see!
My personal procedure? I write the rough quickly, set it aside for months then start the first rewrite -- some times it takes years to get to a final polishing. Done? Not even close. Next step, I have my wife who taught legal writing and was a lawyer for over thirty years -- proof the script. Then, I have several librarians read my work. They do it for fun and free (they say they like my stories). They answer several specific questions such as -- "does this sound like anything you have read in the library?" or "who do you see (cast) playing this part?" (our library system is very big on movie DVDs), "if you could change one piece of dialogue or scene, what would it be and why?" and etc.
After I get the script back and have accumulated several on a shelf, I cook, (I like to cook). I make up enough gourmet food for ten people and do a read-through with past cast (from movies I have done over the years) and other filmmakers. Sometimes we can get through three scripts in an evening (cast has a blast too or so they say).
The key is -- I close my eyes -- shut up and listen, (listening is a good thing). Really let actors and friendly film makers dissect the story. The characters. Plot points. Act one. Act two and three... "What? Not enough white on the page?"
Now the disclaimer! No one knows all there is about anything -- especially me, (so I get as many people to critique and assist). Making mistakes is a good thing too, as long as you learn from the mistake and do not repeat it. Rejection letter! Learn from it. Move forward.
Writing is about life, while the script might be 'horrific', the life behind it should be fun -- for life is too short. The more fun something is the more you do it, the more you do it the better you get, the better you get the more positive the feedback, the more positive the feed back, the more fun it gets. Cyclic.
Also, what works for me might not work for you. But I hope this helps. Oh, by the way, I am not rich or famous -- just someone who likes to make stuff, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
Also watch the documentary -- Tales From The Script. Eye opener!

I was also told the timing was oddly off for a comedy and he did not explain how and that the chars seemed somewhat underdeveloped.

email sent.

Don: I know it's about the story and the story I have is (for this script anyways) is not for everyone in fact I think the people it targets is prob smaller than most agents would want to see. It targets sci-fi fans and all around dorks/geeks/nerds and is an easy R rated flick as it stands.

I never heard of that doc but I think I'm gonna have to look for it. Thanks for that recommendation.

Last edited:
For whatever reason I still can not read pdfs online like the link there. oh well I have it on my pc lol.

No I just went to SAVE-SAVE AS then picked dpf.

Once again thanks for doing that dude.

I haven't read it. But, just looking at it, YES the formatting is extremely weird. It only says INT and EXT and has no actual Scene Heading. It should read INT. HOUSE ONE - DAY

That by itself probably made the reader toss it aside.

Back