• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

screenwriting tips

What's happening. Just got some questions on screenwriting/scripts. Although I have a lot of good Ideas for shorts or possible features I've never writen a screenplay before and was hoping to get some tips on format style and opinions on screenwriting programs. I would really like to get working on some of my ideas so any info I can get on screenwriting besides the actual story part (I got that covered) would be really helpful.

The format is pretty standard industry wide but I hear different things from different sources on the correct level of detail you should put in a screenplay. I guess it depends on who's making it or where you want to sell it. If you intend to make it yourself then I would think (correct me if I'm wrong here) you'd want every detail imaginable in the script. But if you're planning on selling it, so someone else can make it, then leave the details out and concentrate on the story and the dialog.

Can't help you with software since I use a free word processing program for mine but these pdf's helped me.

xttp://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/screenplaytv.pdf
xttp://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/screenplay.pdf

There are two kinds of screenplays, submission (or 'spec') and shooting screenplays. This direct link will take you there but thanks to Will Vincent for suggesting this site. Some really good info here... xttp://www.screenwriting.info/page03.shtml

There is myriad of books out there. Most of them by someone who sold maybe a few scripts, but Hal Ackerman has a great book out on his method. He's a writer/professor, whose students have won Oscars, let alone his own work.

He focuses on the broader elements not just the structural issues. "What makes a story work..."

But, he also has what he calls a scenogram that helps breakdown the elements of a story into the classic 3-Act format, and it shows other elements of the plot and how they connect the Acts and story flow.

I definately got a lot out of his book. The classic "Elements of Screenwriting" is out there too and it's cheap, though maybe a tad dated.

The lovely thing about public libraries... and a convenient scanner/copier. Though I actually created a Word template for the scenogram so I can do it faster.

Back