• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay Club - Cuckoos Nest

Hi Guys

I haven't done this for a while because I've been busy writing and didn't have the time.

But now I'm kicking back into the regular reading of screenplays -- plus as I'm now a Gnu it's the right thing to do.

So as I'm about to read "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest," the screenplay rather than the novel, I'm inviting people to read it at the same time and either comment or not.

I'm reading this one for two reasons -- one to look at why this film works when the protagonist is beaten by the antagonist in the end (discuss)

and also to see how the writer handles a large ensemble cast -- an issue that I faced recently and which I found challenging, to say the least.

Anyhow, normal terms apply -- the thread is open for the next two weeks, the house limit is $1000 and Jacks are wild!

I saw the film before reading the book, for which I'm grateful.

I can see Kesey's point, but Milos Foreman's end result is hard to argue with and his ending where the chief escapes holds true to the spirit of the book -- in strange way, the film works better if you see the Chief as the protagonist -- which is a weird view -- but I know what I mean.

Back