Sci Fi vs. Sy Fy: what is this?

Okay, this question will probably not make anyone's day or change their lives, but its making me crazy:crazy:

WHY???? has the Sci Fi Channel decided to go from: Sci Fi to Sy Fy???

Look, being raised by teachers, I hate it when people spell 'Boys' with a Z (boyz), but that's just me. Still, I don't get the 'Sy Fy' thing. Can't we spell??? Is this supposed to be 'cool'? (sigh)...maybe I should say (Sci).... Do I need another pet peeve....

....for pete's sake....:rolleyes::D

-- spinner :cool:

Well since they changed it they started showing more than sci-fi stuff, so it was a rebranding so they could be SyFy but not totally Sci Fi. Yeah, stupid. Makes no sense!

My cable co. got rid of Sleuth, and Sleuth ruled! I don't miss it now, it went downhill. They used to show classic shows like Rockford Files and Miami Vice. Yeah, I like that stuff.

Dude, the amount of tension around abbreviations for science fiction is hilarious... Like the whole "sci fi" vs. "sf" delineation. A little off topic, but seriously come on. Fiddling with the initials is not going to make the genre any more or less nerdy.

Didn't they already show more than Sci Fi? X-Files and dragons and vampires, oh my! I may be wrong but aren't those more fantasy stuff? They have been showing alot of animation lately but I thought they always showed more than just Sci Fi.

You want nerdy? Watch G4. Everything is gaming and Attack of the Show....so I've heard....not that I watch it....much....nevermind....

:D

-- spinner :cool:

Well that's just their own silly reasoning, SyFy is phonetically Sci Fi so.... stupid ;)

I LOVE the genre of "Sci Fi", but they show so much crap on that channel the only time I've watched it in 5 years is when I stumbled a cross a Twilight Zone Marathon.

I recently read an article about the name change -- the official word from the channel (as stated in the article) was that they wanted to be able to create a brand identity for the network. Since "Sci Fi" is already known as a genre, they could never OWN it as the identity of their network -- hence the name change.

Apparently syfy is a slang term for a certain "social disease", in a particular european language. :)

Silly cable channels.

Back