Scene and Shot on the Film Slate

Scenes comprise several shots usually. Therefore why on the film slate (clapperboard) is there an area to write the scene number and not the shot number? There is an area to write the "take number" because a shot might have several takes, therefore I am not sure why "scene number" is on the clapperboard and not the "shot number".

The above is further confused by the fact that most films have a shot list, therefore one would believe each of those shots to have a shot number, which should go on the film slate, but it is not.

Did filmmakers use "scene number" historically but in actual fact was referring to the shot number and then that concept/layout of the film slate just got adopted as a standard?

Therefore, is it correct to assume that when one sees "scene number" on a clapperboard, one should accept that the scene number on the board is in actual fact referring to the shot number?

Every clapperboard (film slate) that I have seen has Scene Number. I have never seen a film slate that has the Shot Number.

Back