Round the world in 2 years, need advice

Hey everyone!

Well, i am planing an around the world trip, for a duration of 2 years more or less.

The trip is somehow planned to start in 2019-2020. I need your advice, on what gear (Camera, lenses etc etc) you think it would be a good idea to bring.

As for now, i have:
Canon 70D
-Canon 24-105L f4
-Canon 10-18 stm
-Canon 50mm 1.8
-Canon 55-250 - 4.5-5.6

Gopro 3+
DJI Phantom 3 Advance
Mefoto roadtrip tripod
Blackrapid sport sling

I like to take both good photos, and videos, and i plan to make a short film/documentary with a duration of 1h more or less.
So, the ideas i had for now are: As for main camera:
-Stay with the 70D, (Bring only the canon 10-18 and 24-105)
-Buy a Full Frame (Maybe a 5dsr as i love landscape photography) With a good 16-35/2.8 and 24-70/2.8

-Buy a Sony Alpha 7r II (In 2 years from now i might find them quite cheap)
-Buy a lighter sony 6500 (Same as above)
The good thing about the Sony's are that i could film in 4k, something i am considering.

Also, i might get an extra camera only for video, and i think i want it with a gimbal, something like a DJI osmo.
And, i would buy a new, lighter drone, similar to the new mavic
or spark (in 2 years from now i am sure we will have a cool little drone that would suit my needs)

This is more or less my idea, i am open to any suggestions you have. I need to carry everything in a large backpack, so the lighter the gear is, the better.

P.D
Here you have a link with some of my photos and videos, so you can see my work, i
am self taught, so don't go hard on me please :D

https://vimeo.com/user40002848

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142459824@N03/

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If you were planning on a new drone, you might consider the GoPro Karma w/Hero 5 Black. It is small, light weight, folds for storage, easy to use, and is made by GoPro. Plus, it comes with a detachable stabilizing gimbal, so you can use it handheld as well. There is nothing wrong with the 70D you have. If you want full frame and 4K video, I would suggest the 5DmkIV since you are already invested in Canon glass. Plus, it shoots 30mp stills. I know that Isn't quite the 50mp of the 5Ds, but unless you are doing billboards or cropping in on a tiny speck of the image, you won't much notice.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, the 70D is a good camera, and it will be the option i choose if i want to go "cheap" as i alrready have it.

About the drone, i read bad things about the Karma, plus it is bigger in size than the mavic and spark, so unless they make a better, smaller drone in 2 years from now, i think i will go with a DJI option. But having the gimbal grip detachtable is a plus...

And the 5d mk IV, is really a good option. Honestly it is better than the 5dsr now that i think of it, as you already said, 30 to 50mp isn't a big difference if i don't plan to make print something huge.

Thanks!

If you plan to fly, your carry on luggage has limitations and you don't want lenses in a backback that gets thrown in and out of airplanes.
Also check the rules for batteries: you must carry them all in your carry on luggage.

If you plan to fly, your carry on luggage has limitations and you don't want lenses in a backback that gets thrown in and out of airplanes.
Also check the rules for batteries: you must carry them all in your carry on luggage.

Sorry, i forgot to mention, my idea is to travel without planes, (just by land or sea), so that will not be a problem.

I'm planning a RTW trip for 2020-ish and won't be making any new purchases specifically for the trip until likely 2019.

Considering the rate at which technology progresses, you may find that something that better suits your needs comes out (like the Mavic and Spark for example which are only very recent), or at the very least today's current technology will have become a lot more affordable for you to take away as items likely to have been superseded.

Back