• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Rough cut commercial

Close to final edit (last second or so of band at end to be replaced by an exterior of the bar), but color correction not final (just threw my generic S curve on it). Also, this is raw camera sound. It will actually all (100% ) be replaced by foley. There is also a voice over we're recording this weekend. I'll update when the final version is done. Just thought I'd get a first reaction to the edit and cinematography.

Shot it in two 8 hour days this past weekend. First commercial I have ever shot or edited. It's for a local bar.
First rough cut was 49 seconds. Never done ANYTHING with this editing pace before, so a good esercise for me.

Boro Bar and Grill

Overall, looks nice! The message is simple, and it works -- I wanna go to this bar.

Not sure how I feel about that first part; you should let the girl finish her studying. :)

The last shot, with the band -- any way to make that more dynamic? Different shots you can cut in? Doesn't feel lively enough for what it is supposed to be.

I think it really needs the music and voiceover. But objectively on the cut I think you've got it. I knew what was happening. The message was clear: You've worked hard, you deserve something better than sitting at home. Go to this bar it's really fun.

Only complaint is that the opening scene seemed too 'pretty' for a commercial. It really felt like a film. Looking back on it I think that may be the lighting. It's very bright(not overexposed, just bright) and warm but seems to be coming from nowhere. The shots in the bar look very filmic as well but it works really well there.

Oh, and nice easter egg ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Recording the voice over this weekend so I'll post the finished project next week.

Tonight I'm going to tweak the color correction. Some of it is a bit too warm and saturated I agree. Those Super Takumars have a very warm tone to them that for this application I think I need to cool down a bit.

I wish I had more coverage of the band, but after staring in the morning before the bar opened it was actually up and running by the time we got to the band shots so rushed it a bit. On another band note. The band that was supposed to be in the commercial bailed on us at the last minute so we took a song from one of the previous movies (Ride the Bobcat) threw some gear up on stage and had crew members (who actually are all musicians) be the band.

Well, it made me want to go there so it works :)

Technically, i would change only one thing. The shot where the guy is putting that bucket into the truck is a little jarring. I would probably add that at the beginning with the other ppl working. Just my $0.02

Everything else looks and feels pretty good for a commerical.

Thanks for watching Earnest.

I see what you're saying for sure. I opened with the attractive girl on the "grab them quick" theory.

This was actually the first thing I had ever lit and shot myself (other than stills), so reasonably happy with how it turned out as I took all the theory in my head and tried to apply it.

Last edited:
Back