Rode Videomic vs Blue Snowball Ice Mic for VOICE OVERS

I've already got a Rode Videomic, would it be worth it buying a Blue Snowball Ice Mic to record voice overs?

Is the Snowball mic any better than the Videomic when it comes to voice overs? Enoug to warrant a buy?

For $100 the SnowBall is an okay mic. Because of its design it will sound a little more like a "real" VO mic than the Rode VM. Enough to justify the expense? That's for you to decide.

This is more of a long term investment to be honest, I'm looking to buy something permanently as suppose to renting. In terms of sound recording I was thinking of just using my 550d(with magic lantern). Then just use the audio from the video. Or would it be better to use my laptop to record?

Please don't get me wrong, doing projects to gain experience or just as a hobby is fine, but spending $65 consumer product like the SnowBall isn't a "long term investment." Buying something like the $2,300 Schoeps CMIT5 shotgun mic, or the $1,100 Neumann TLM103 LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser) is a serious long term investment.

When you rent you aren't getting a SnowBall or RVM, you are getting equipment that serious professionals use with far superior performance characteristics.

If you really want to "invest" in your projects and your career consider using people who have the skills and proper equipment.

When I say long term investment I don't mean I'm going to stick with it forever. I'm just looking at what is within my budget in this moment in time. There's no way I can afford a $2300 mic and there's no need for something of that price yet anyway. By long term investment I mean I'd rather have something I can keep and use again and again for future projects. I could rent a really good mic and audio recorder, but what happens in a few weeks time when I need to record some voice overs again? I wanna invest in something I can afford right now, then later on when I outgrow it and can afford something better I can upgrade my equipment one step at a time.

Obviously I'm not expecting to get hollywood standard voice overs with these mics.

Another option is to get a Zoom h1 or a second hand Zoom h2n and use my Rode Videomic to record onto that. If you think the videomic really isn't good enough I could stick it on ebay and upgrade to the Videomic Pro?

If you really want something decent to do VO work on a micro-budget check out the Audio Technica AT2023 ($130), Blue Spark ($200) or Rode NT1-A ($230). These are decent sounding, sturdily built low-budget LDC mics.

For starters get the Blue Icicle ($40) which will connect any of them directly to USB. You can get a USB interface with a little more versatility and control like the ART USB Dual Pre ($60), ART USB Mix-3 ($70) or the M-Audio Fast Track ($80) which even comes with Pro Tools SE software (a great place to start).

This is where you begin to make investments. You'll get a good introductory LDC that will do a decent job for quite a few years and will be compatible with just about any computer audio interface mixer or mic-pre out there.

It would also help if you discussed in detail what you are doing and what you want to accomplish; we might be able to make better suggestions.

Back