Ring light...???

Am looking for a ring light. Reason is I have a VG10 and occasionally film single shooter interviews in ropey, last-minute-setup environments. A nice ring light either working from an independent power source or alternatively attached to the hot shoe of my VG10 would be ideal.

Don't really want a ring light wrapped around the barrel of my lens but will do it if I have to. Ideally, this would be a 35mm Samyang Cine lens which I like to use as I have a 1.6 crop.

So can anyone recommend a nice ring light for quick and dirty interview settings. Note that I want a ring light, not any other kind of light, as I like the softening and eye effects it brings.

Any recommendations and what do you use?

Am looking for a ring light. Reason is I have a VG10 and occasionally film single shooter interviews in ropey, last-minute-setup environments. A nice ring light either working from an independent power source or alternatively attached to the hot shoe of my VG10 would be ideal.

Don't really want a ring light wrapped around the barrel of my lens but will do it if I have to. Ideally, this would be a 35mm Samyang Cine lens which I like to use as I have a 1.6 crop.

So can anyone recommend a nice ring light for quick and dirty interview settings. Note that I want a ring light, not any other kind of light, as I like the softening and eye effects it brings.

Any recommendations and what do you use?

I use a Diva Ring Light mounted on my tripod - pictured here:

P1010203.JPG

This is the review that convinced me to buy it: http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_diva_ring.html

You can get a similar unit from Amazon in the UK for £150.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

I use a wooden board with a bunch of household sockets screwed into it in a ring-formation. Custom wiring and generally attached to a dimmer. Cheap, light, easy, beautiful, and the colour is super nice. Easy to diffuse etc. etc.

Something I picked up off the Roger Deakins forum ;)

I use a wooden board with a bunch of household sockets screwed into it in a ring-formation. Custom wiring and generally attached to a dimmer. Cheap, light, easy, beautiful, and the colour is super nice. Easy to diffuse etc. etc.

Something I picked up off the Roger Deakins forum ;)
I know someone who has a 6 foot ringlight made that way.

When making one, you need to watch the amperage. Some people use CFLs for the energy saving, but I despise those for photography.

Back