tv Rick Moranis Surprise Cameo Appearance in Stranger Things Season 5 finale.

You know, Rick has always been someone who has been absent from the screens for 26 years since he took a break to raise his two kids following the death of his wife and contrary to popular belief, he has not retired he has just been picky about the roles he wants to do. Well now that his kids are grown and adults now, and he has said he is ready to make a comeback, and he's such a beloved figure 80's figure, I figured with the final season of Stranger Things coming on the way, He could make a surprise cameo appearance in the final episode, both as a way to honor his legacy as an actor and to bring the series full circle in a sense that honor it's legacy as a series inspired by the 80s. I know that Stranger things has already been filming, and the Duffer brothers said they're trying not to add new characters so they can focus on the original characters, and that they already the first 7 episodes So I figured the best way to accommodate this was to have him be the official final new character on the show, and I'm hoping someone here could forward this to Shawn Levy and The Duffer Brothers about this. And since Deadpool and Wolverine just came out recently which was directed by Shawn Levy and also stars Ryan Reynolds who recently did that mint mobile commercial with Moranis back in 2020, This could probably help entice him into a making a cameo appearance. He's not a part of the main narrative but important to the final battle in the finale. I figured this would work since their isn't any time to go back and add him to the main plot. If anything, the more minor his role is the bigger the impact it could have on the audience.

At first when we see him in the last episode, he's a minor character that could probably be considered a throwaway character But then when we see him again the second time near the end we finally see find out he has telekinetic powers like Eleven and he aids the kids in the final battle when things are at their most dire and seem like hope is lost He doesn't deal the death blow to Vecna, but he is powerful enough to gain an advantage over him that clears the way for the main heroes to defeat them on their own. It's not a cheap Deux ex machina, but something that built up to his reveal. Just like they retconned Vecna in the story, They could hopefully retcon his character as well so it won't come off as cheap or pulled randomly out of thin air. It's unknown how the final battle ends, but we all know for a fact that Vecna is going to die, We learn all of this was just part of his batman gambit, gambit roulette and failure gambit to defeat Vecna. But all of this hinges on Rick Moranis saying yes and agreeing to take part so If he says no, then the character and everything else with it needs to be scrapped since the character was made specifically for him.

I spent months and months investigating Moranis life story and tried to figure out to apply aspects of it to his character. Really the reason why I'm doing this not just for nostalgic purposes regarding him, but as a way to give him a character that could help him find closure regarding his life. His character is meant to basically turn hell into heaven, while finding closure with him self much like Rick Moranis could do in real life. He's always said he's willing to take on a project if the role was good enough for him and is not in fact retired just picky about what he wants. I noticed after he left acting, the world seem to have gotten a lot more cynical and mean spirited with everything going what with 9/11 all other horrible instances that have occurred. When finally made his brief comeback in 2020 it was during what was possibly one of the most stressful years in recent memory what if Covid-19 and other such issues. Honestly this world has been somewhat a little more mean spirited unpleasant and just in general sucked without him. His character in Stranger Things is supposed to represent what the actor is doing: Coming in during the most difficult times of lives, turn it on its head completely and give everyone hope that things will be okay. Because whenever you see Rick Moranis, you automatically get good vibes just simply by him being there. So what better way to give the fans, the cast and the crew a memorable outing for one of the most culturally defining series in recent memory that harkened back the glory years of film(and one of the more innocent eras) by having one of the most beloved, sorely missed and iconic actors that has defined many a person's childhood but has also meant a lot to a lot to of people.

The character's "codename" is Elminister, which is a reference to Dungeons and Dragons forgotten realms. It could serve as a passing mention in the final episode that foreshadows his involvement. I had to work to carefully work out a strong enough character description that could entice Matt and Ross Duffer, Levy, and Rick Moranis to agree to it. I didn't give him a character name, that's for them to do in the case this actually works out in getting him involved, But Elminister is just a name that could be potentially given to him the main kids.

Character Description: Elminster

Background and Traits:
Elminster, portrayed by the iconic Rick Moranis, is a multifaceted character who seamlessly blends traits of the bumbling nerd archetype with profound depth and hidden strength. A world-renowned chess champion and an expert in magic tricks, Elminster is not just a man of high intellect but also of immense empathy. He’s a grieving widower, still deeply affected by the loss of his beloved wife, a tragedy that has shaped his life and his actions. This personal pain creates a profound bond with the kids of Hawkins, as he connects with them over their own hardships and losses.

Reclusive Genius :Despite his reclusive nature, Elminster’s presence is felt throughout the series. He’s a character shrouded in mystery, with a high IQ and a love for the intricacies of chess and magic, symbolizing his strategic mind and his ability to think several steps ahead. His seemingly bumbling exterior masks a brilliant mind always at work, orchestrating events from the shadows.

Hidden Power: What truly sets Elminster apart is his extraordinary telekinetic abilities. He is more powerful than Eleven, Kali, and even Vecna/Henry Creel. This immense power, however, is kept under wraps until the pivotal moment in the final battle. His mastery over telekinesis is not just about raw strength but also about control and finesse, traits that are revealed gradually, showcasing his true potential when it matters the most.

Master Strategist: Elminster has been the unseen hand guiding the events of Hawkins, employing a combination of Batman gambit, gambit roulette, and failure gambit strategies. Every seemingly insignificant event, every minor character, has played a part in his grand design. His strategic brilliance ensures that every move leads to Vecna's ultimate defeat. From the major players to the minor characters like Robin and Suzie, Elminster has woven a complex web of influence, adapting to new developments with ease.

Physical Prowess: In addition to his intellectual and supernatural capabilities, Elminster’s background as a middleweight or lightweight boxing champion adds another layer to his character. This skill set is crucial in the final battle, where he not only dominates Vecna through his telekinetic powers but also in physical combat. Vecna, who is primarily reliant on his magical abilities and not adept at physical confrontation, finds himself outmatched. Elminster’s boxing skills enable him to deliver powerful blows, demonstrating that he is a force to be reckoned with on all fronts.

Emotional Core: Beyond his intellectual and supernatural prowess, Elminster is a character with a deep emotional core. His struggle with his wife's death adds layers to his character, making his bond with the kids more poignant. His moments of vulnerability make his eventual reveal as a powerful ally even more impactful. He is a protector and a mentor, someone who understands pain and loss, and uses that understanding to guide and support the younger characters.

Final Battle and Legacy: In the final battle, Elminster steps out of the shadows, revealing his true power and the extent of his influence. His involvement is crucial to turning the tide against Vecna and restoring peace to Hawkins and the Upside Down. The climax is visually stunning, with Elminster’s abilities displayed in an awe-inspiring manner, creating a moment that is both epic and emotionally resonant. His combination of telekinetic power and boxing prowess leads to a decisive victory, showcasing his multifaceted strength.

Rick Moranis’ Return: Rick Moranis’ portrayal of Elminster brings a unique blend of warmth, humor, and gravitas to the role. His return to the screen after a long hiatus adds an additional layer of excitement and nostalgia for the audience. The character of Elminster is designed to be a tribute to Moranis’ legacy, embodying the qualities that made his past roles so beloved while also offering something new and profound.

Conclusion : Elminster is a character who combines intellect, emotional depth, supernatural power, and physical prowess in a way that is integral to the Stranger Things narrative. His presence, though limited, is crucial and transformative, providing the perfect blend of homage to Rick Moranis’ iconic career and the thrilling, heartfelt storytelling that Stranger Things is known for.

• "You picked the wrong wizard to mess with.
  • "When you play with magic, you better know the rules."
  • "Out of the shadows and into the light—let's end this."
  • "You think darkness is your ally? Let me show you true power."
  • Welcome to my playground. Try to keep up."
  • "I’ve always wanted to redecorate."
  • I’ve seen the future, and you're not in it."
  • "Magic isn’t just tricks and illusions, but this will do for now."
  • Saving the world one spell at a time."
  • "Who needs a wand when you’ve got style?"
  • That’s how you cast a spell, kids."
  • "You can call it magic, but I call it Tuesday."
  • "Time to checkmate, Vecna."
  • "Your reign of terror ends now."
  • "The future looks brighter already."
  • "Looks like the magic’s gone out of you."
  • "I've seen monsters scarier than you in my sleep. Time to wake up, Vecna."
  • "You’re not the first dark force I’ve faced, and you won’t be the last."
  • "Magic is more than power; it’s the wisdom to use it. Watch and learn."
  • "You’ve underestimated me, Vecna. That’s your first and last mistake."
  • "Is that the best darkness can muster? You’re barely a flicker in the night."
  • "Your power is as feeble as your ambition, Vecna."
  • All this power, and still no one remembers your name."
  • "History will forget you faster than a breeze through smoke."
  • "Your ego casts a longer shadow than your power ever will."
  • "Do you ever get tired of listening to yourself? Because I do."
  • Confidence is charming. Overconfidence is foolish."
  • "You mistake arrogance for strength. It’ll be your downfall."
  • "Hating humanity won’t make you more powerful. It just makes you lonely."
  • "Your disdain for others says more about you than them."
  • "You keep coming back like a bad rerun, Vecna. Haven’t you learned anything about overstaying your welcome?"
  • "Most villains have a comeback story. Yours is more like a broken record."
  • "Do you ever wonder if your obsession with Hawkins is just your fear of being forgotten?"
  • "You must enjoy disappointment, Vecna. It’s the only thing you’re consistent at."
  • "Even reruns eventually lose their audience, Vecna. Time to cancel your show."
  • "You’re like a nightmare that just won’t end. Let’s give Hawkins a happy ending for once."
  • "I see your thirst for power led you here, Vecna. Pity it blinded you to everything else."
  • "I could mourn what you've become, Vecna, if there was anything left worth mourning."
  • "You've lost more than battles, Vecna. You've lost your humanity. If you ever had any."
  • "I understand loss, Vecna. But what you've done in the name of revenge... there's no coming back from that."
  • "I once thought you were a tragic figure, Vecna. Now I see you're just a cautionary tale."
  • "You had potential, Vecna. But potential means nothing when you can't let go of your own failures."
  • "Your power fades, Vecna. Without it, what are you but a shadow?"
  • "You ruled by fear, Vecna. Now look at you, afraid of your own demise."
  • "All that darkness, and you still couldn't eclipse your own shortcomings."
  • "You thought you were invincible. Turns out, you were just deluded."
  • "Even gods fall, Vecna. You're no exception. Just a puppet without strings."
  • "Your reign of terror ends here, Vecna. Your power is nothing without fear."
  • "You monologue like a villain from a bad play, Vecna. Time to end this script."
  • "All that scheming, Vecna, and you still couldn’t see your own downfall coming?"
  • "You talk of grand designs, Vecna, but all I see is a tower built on sand."
  • "I’ve faced smarter shadows, Vecna. Your brilliance is as fleeting as your power."
  • "The more you talk, Vecna, the clearer it becomes: your arrogance outweighs your intelligence."
  • "Your plans were as transparent as your empty threats, Vecna. It's almost pitiable."
  • "You've sown chaos, Vecna. Now it's time to reap what you've sown."
  • "Your reckoning has arrived, Vecna. No more chances for redemption."
  • "For every tear shed and every heart broken, this is your payment, Vecna."
  • "The debt is due, Vecna. Consider this justice served."
  • "You thought you were untouchable, Vecna. Today, you face the consequences."
  • "The price of your deeds is oblivion, Vecna. There's no second act for you."
  • "Your cruelty forged their resolve, Vecna. Now they wield it like a weapon."
  • "You thought you could crush their spirits, Vecna. Instead, you stoked the flames of their fury."
  • "Their scars are your legacy, Vecna. Each one a reminder of your failure."
  • "They've embraced their darkness, Vecna. And it's far more potent than yours."
  • "You underestimated their resilience, Vecna. Now they stand at the edge, and you've pushed them over."
  • "Your mind games only fueled their rage, Vecna. Now they'll show you what happens when monsters provoke heroes."
  • "Your monologue is as tiresome as your ambition, Vecna. Time's up."
  • "Silence, Vecna. Your words hold no sway here."
  • "You see, Vecna, this is why good will always triumph. Because evil is dumb... like you"(a reference and juxtaposition to his line in Space Balls)
These are just quotes that I felt would be good enough or interesting enough for his character that the writers can refine and revise how they see fit. Here is his arc that I worked out that could potentially be good enough for the duffer brothers, levy and especially Rick Moranis to agree to this.

Character Arc: Elminster

First Act: The Eccentric Sage:
In Elminster's first appearance, he is portrayed as an eccentric, bumbling nerd. This character introduction is a nod to Rick Moranis' beloved earlier roles, bringing a sense of nostalgia and levity to the series. He encounters the Stranger Things kids and shares seemingly simple yet profound advice about life, particularly focusing on coping with loss. Through this conversation, he reveals his own struggle with the death of his wife, creating an immediate emotional connection with the kids and the audience. This scene not only grounds his character in heartfelt realism but also hints at the depth of his wisdom and experience.

Key Scene: Elminster, in his quirky manner, stumbles upon the kids and strikes up a conversation about life’s hardships. He shares a touching story about his wife, providing the kids with valuable life lessons cloaked in humor and warmth. This establishes him as a relatable and endearing character.

Second Act: The Hidden Hero Revealed: As the final battle against Vecna reaches its peak, Elminster returns, shedding his bumbling facade to reveal his true strength and strategic genius. He steps in to aid the kids, using his superior telekinetic powers and boxing skills to turn the tide of the battle. His presence is both shocking and awe-inspiring, as he dominates Vecna not only with his magical abilities but also through physical prowess. This act showcases his dual nature as both a powerful telekinetic user and a skilled fighter, emphasizing his role as a protector and mentor.

Key Scene: Elminster joins the fray, displaying incredible telekinetic feats and engaging in physical combat with Vecna. His strategic mind and combat skills shift the momentum in favor of the heroes. The audience witnesses his true potential, transforming their perception of him from a quirky old man to a formidable ally.

Third and Final Act: Emotional Closure and Tribute: After the battle, in a serene and visually stunning scene, Elminster visits his wife's gravesite. This moment is deeply personal and emotional, as he speaks to her, expressing his feelings from the bottom of his heart. He thanks her for watching over him and helping him protect the kids of Hawkins, drawing a poignant parallel to his real-life dedication to his own children. This act not only provides closure for his character but also serves as a tribute to Rick Moranis' legacy as a devoted father and husband. The scene beautifully mirrors the transformation of the Upside Down from a hellish landscape back to its original, peaceful state, symbolizing hope and renewal.

Key Scene: Elminster stands at his wife's grave, delivering a heartfelt monologue. He reflects on his journey, acknowledges her enduring presence in his life, and expresses gratitude for the strength she has given him. The scene is visually arresting, with the restored beauty of the Upside Down serving as a backdrop, creating a powerful and emotional conclusion to his arc.

Conclusion: Elminster’s character arc is designed to be both emotionally resonant and visually stunning, providing a perfect blend of nostalgia, strength, and heartfelt closure. This role offers Rick Moranis the opportunity to portray a multifaceted character that pays homage to his iconic past roles while delivering a powerful and memorable performance in the final season of Stranger Things. His limited but impactful presence not only enriches the narrative but also offers a profound message of hope, resilience, and the enduring power of love and memory.

If Max is potentially alive, then it could be said he was inspired and encouraged by Max to go to her gravesite and let out his feelings the same way she did with Billy in the episode dear Billy. He could also potentially from a bond with Eleven considering they're both telekinetic users. (I'm relishing the idea of Rick Moranis and Millie Bobby Brown sharing a nice tender scene together). But Again all of this hinges on Rick Moranis saying yes, and accepting the role, so If he doesn't take part in all of this, then the whole thing should be scrapped altogether. I tried to look for ways to give this to Levy, Duffers, and anyone else, and to tell you the truth, I'm not looking for any kind of special benefit from this. I just thought it was a idea for both the show and for him. But If someone could find a way to suggest this to them, and bring this to their attention, that would be great. Some tips and advice would help as well.

Back