Replacing FCP7?

As an FCP7 user, I was incredibly disappointed when X came out. It is cheap but still lacks the control and functionality of FCP7.

FCP 7 is now getting older and I am seeing products like Adobe Premier which seem to be outpacing my unsupported software. However, I know FCP7 inside out, have a great handle on what its capabilities are, can bend it to do things it is not even designed to do and therefore think that it is a great package.

However, should I be looking to replace it given there are better editing packages out there? Personally, I would rather spend the money on AE rather than upgrading my older, editing software.

What would you do if it was your money?

However, should I be looking to replace it given there are better editing packages out there?

There is nothing more subjective and personal than trying to define "better".

All I can say is that transitioning to Premiere Pro is a lot easier than going to AVID. Built in Premiere is the FINAL CUT PRO keyboard shortcuts, all to make it a smooth changeover.

I moved to AVID MC. It is a pretty hefty change, but I love AVID more than I ever did FCP, and can edit faster and better.

I've heard Adobe Premiere is essentially a carbon-copy of FCP with some Adobe quirks, but I don't have that much experience with it, so I can't say too much about it.

I don't think the software anyone uses makes you a 'better' editor. It's the artist not the brush that counts. If the software does what you need, then it doesn't matter beyond a few technical details.

That's the whole point of this thread. I have just spent the last 3 hours wrestling with a FCP 7 glitch which has not been resolved because FCP 7 is no longer being upgraded. This is a pain. I found a workaround but I am beginning to want something that is being upgraded and supported.

I like Avid's stability, greater range of options but is it that much better?

Avid is current and good but I think that FCP7 plus AE equals more than Avid for a lower cost. I think...

really depends, it seriously took me half a day to transition into premiere. CS6 runs great compared to the old FC7 and besides a few small quirky things its very familiar territory. I did try Avid as I have had some experience in pro tools, and I found it a little bit more of a learning curve. It's really personal preference though, I'm a massive user of After effects so really for me it was a no brainer, Philip Bloom did a great article on switching from FC7 to CS6 if you are interested
http://philipbloom.net/2012/09/30/cs6/

really depends, it seriously took me half a day to transition into premiere. CS6 runs great compared to the old FC7 and besides a few small quirky things its very familiar territory. I did try Avid as I have had some experience in pro tools, and I found it a little bit more of a learning curve. It's really personal preference though, I'm a massive user of After effects so really for me it was a no brainer, Philip Bloom did a great article on switching from FC7 to CS6 if you are interested
http://philipbloom.net/2012/09/30/cs6/

Fantastic, thanks. Really useful.

Back