Replacing an actor during a shoot.

We are four days into shooting and are unhappy with the performance of a lead role. On top of that we are not too keen on him as a person so we are considering dropping him.

I can save his acting with clever editing but is it not worth just re shooting his scenes and could I still use his OTS shots where all we see is his back head so that we can keep other actors performance? We coulfd just bite the bullet and continue with this guy but other performances are so good that we feel he is letting the whole production down. :rolleyes:

Any advise on the situation would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It is always better to get rid of a problem sooner than later. However, if there is some contract or agreement, make sure that it can't cause a problem in the future. You might have to reshoot everything involving him unless you are allowed to use any part of him without compensation or agreement on his part.

Saving something with clever editing is not bad at all, but editing for emotion is better, and it's good to have those emotional options to choose from. I guess that means it's best to reshoot... But you can still use the OTS shots if your replacement's head matches the back of the other guy's head of course.

It's rough, but almost always better to have as many options as possible in the editing room. If it's still an option, can him and go with your second choice for the role.

Back