Remind you of anyone on IT?

Anyone who works a professional that is largely only recognized when they fuck up will be grumpy.

I hear lots of directors bitch and moan. I have also watched a DP say "we better get this within my 10 hours, or I am leaving."

Anyone who works a professional that is largely only recognized when they fuck up will be grumpy.

This is pretty true.

Not too many people saying 'wow this band has a great mix tonight' but plenty of people will say 'WTF was with that feedback for 5 seconds at the start of the show..?' or 'why couldn't I hear the back-up singers for 3 seconds once in a three hour show..??'

If I'm ACing, it's rare (although sometimes happens, from DPs) that you get a 'wow that was a great focus pull,' but I was fired from a show once because we did no rehearsals, was WFO on a 135mm, camera on a dolly, actors moving, no time for marks - and the Director and Producers complained because they felt me needing a couple extra takes to get focus right was 'taking too long' and the sole reason we didn't make the day (and of course, low budget so no cash for OT).

If someone chews me out for buzzing a take when we've had no rehearsals, no time for marks, WFO on a tele lens, on a dolly with moving actors - keeping in mind I was the only AC on a 2-camera Alexa shoot, and there's no cash for grips, so I had to help construct the dolly... then they might think I'm grumpy ;)

I'm a pretty easy going guy, but even the calmest of people could be forgiven for appearing 'grumpy' in some on-set situations :D

In fact, sometimes you need to actively stop yourself from being grumpy about some incredibly average situations on set based on a fear of not being asked back...

Last edited:
Back