Release forms question(s)

Hey I have a question. Under what circumstances would I need to get a release form signed? If you can recognize someone's face?

Well here's what I'm doing. I working on a video (documentaryish style) about healing and the sense of touch, it will go into massage and how human touch is actually a method of healing that seems to be fading due to newer "faster" western medicine. This video is also to promote a massage class at UC Irvine, which is where you'd really learn about this stuff. Right now I want to get a lot a shots of random people in the park and tape their interactions with others to see if they are open to the idea of touching others (hugging, hand shakes etc) or if they all seem to keep their distance from others. I'm thinking I can go sit in a park and just get whatever I can one day, then go to other places and so on, now would I need a release form for every person that I get in the shot? Is there some kind of rule in public places? What about public figures? Do they need to sign a release form? Well thanks in advance for all you who can sift through my many questions! Hooray for forums!

OK. I don't have a definitive legal answer because I'm based in the UK and working under a different legal system.

However, I suspect that the answer might depend on the level commercial exploitation. That the rules will change depending on what your intentions are and where the programme is going to be shown.

So if it going to be used in house, that requires a fairly low level of permission. However, if the end product is for broadcast the rules will change and the easiest way to get an answer, is to contact the broadcaster and ask them what their guidelines are.

It maybe be easier and legally safer in the long run, to bring in performers to act out the scenarios in your locations You can still shoot on the long end of the lens and make it look like found footage, but at least then you'd have releases for all everything.

Hey thanks Clive! That helps. I will have to look into a lot of this more too. Once everything become further along perhaps we'll know. The more permission the better I suppose. Thanks!

would I need a release form for every person that I get in the shot?

Yes... unless you blur out faces (If they are recogniseable.)

That really doesn't sound like a good option though, if trying to document human emotion and expression. The face can tell a lot without having to say a word.

Back