• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Red Camera & Final Cut Pro

I have Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD. This is a free upgrade from my original FCP 4.0.

I don't know much about the Red Camera except it's suppose to be hot, excellent, and the camera supposedly gives a decent "film" look. Also, you shoot to a special Hard Drive and not to a miniDV or DVD-R. Is this true?

Will this footage be compatible with 4.5?

One last thing: I've only used 29.97fps with FCP. If I captured 24fps to it, is there something I have to do so FCP knows it's 24 and not 29.97fps, or does it automatically know?

I've only edited 3 movies. You think I'd know these dumbass answers.

The RED ONE camera shoots to CF cards or to a hard drive in the proprietary R3D format. It shoots in 23.976 FPS. You can use the free REDCINE software to convert the footage to Quicktime MOV's in HD or even at the 2k/4K resolutions in the ProRes422 codec native to Final Cut. Or you can edit with the MOV proxies that are a part of RED's footage with the R3 files.

I have Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD. This is a free upgrade from my original FCP 4.0.

Will this footage be compatible with 4.5?

Red footage requires version 6 or higher. I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work in 4.5, which is a pretty old version.

Time to upgrade. :)

One last thing: I've only used 29.97fps with FCP. If I captured 24fps to it, is there something I have to do so FCP knows it's 24 and not 29.97fps, or does it automatically know?

It will automatically know. In fact, new versions of FCP can adjust your timeline settings automatically to match your clip.

Does REDCINE diminish the quality?

Eventually when I make my next flick (If I do), I want to make sure I won't have problems once it's shot.

If you can afford to shoot on the Red, just budget a little bit of money to upgrade to the latest FCP. I don't see the point of going to that all trouble and then trying to post on an ancient NLE.

Back