Recording Audio - Equipment for multiple talents

As a newcomer on the indie film scene, I am undergoing the planning stage and am trying to understand how to best capture talent speech.

For example, let's say that four talents are sitting on a couch; is there one mic on a boom to capture audio from all four actors, two separate boom + mics? What is the preferred method for those seeking good audio quality with the normal limited budget?

Secondly, during audio post, how do we achieve stereo sound if the audio was recorded using the mono mic?

And if the budget only allows for one mic, during taking shots, does the mic point at one speaking actor, and then during the next take, the mic points at another actor?

Any equipment suggestions and techniques will be greatly appreciated.

For example, let's say that four talents are sitting on a couch; is there one mic on a boom to capture audio from all four actors, two separate boom + mics? What is the preferred method for those seeking good audio quality with the normal limited budget?
And if the budget only allows for one mic, during taking shots, does the mic point at one speaking actor, and then during the next take, the mic points at another actor?

Okay, the first question is what do you consider a limited budget? $1,000? $10,000?

Question two is what kind of project is it; a narrative or documentary?

Most often a single mic is used. Since you're indoors a hypercardiod condenser mic is probably the best choice. The boom-op will constantly adjust/re-aim the mic so that it is pointing at the actor who is speaking, even those who are off-camera. On the occasions where the talent is widely dispersed the audio wrangler will sometimes swing a second boom.

On documentary projects - budget allowing - each person being interviewed will wear a lav.

The best option, as always, is to retain a professional sound crew. The second best option is to rent the equipment appropriatef or the shoot. I am aware that DIY is very "in" right now, but learning via books and the web audio on-the-job is a just not the same as having experience with the intricacies of production sound.

Secondly, during audio post, how do we achieve stereo sound if the audio was recorded using the mono mic?
The final mix will be stereo or surround. The mono channels will be panned to the center in a stereo mix so it will come out both speakers or assigned to the center speaker if the mix is in surround.

Any equipment suggestions and techniques will be greatly appreciated.
There have been numerous discussions regarding this, so do a quick search. Again, your choices will depend upon your budget. A "Hollywood" sound cart like the one shown below could easily cost up to $50,000 or more.

IMG_0881.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I've seen much of this content through browsing these boards, and it's very handy to have your insight found in one location.

Your thorough rundown on technique, especially the comment about the boom operator, has been very useful. To answer your questions, I am personally financing the equipment and it is for a narrative.

Last edited:
My first suggestions still hold; hire a sound crew or rent the gear.

If you must buy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421940-REG/Rode__NTG_2_Shotgun_Microphone.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68315-REG/Audio_Technica_AT4053_AT4053a_Microphone.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292988-REG/Sound_Devices_MIXPRE_Mixpre_Portable_2.html

Just a touch higher than your budget, but these will let you record cleanly and efficiently to a camera that has line inputs. You should also make sure that you get quality cables, probably another $100.

I know, I know, you'll want cheaper alternatives. This is an investment in your future a a filmmaker. These items will long outlast several cameras.

If your camera has an 1/8" mini-pin audio input you should consider the juicedLink CX-231:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563070-REG/juicedLink_CX231_CX231_Audio_Mixer_and.html

Invest your savings in wind protection for the shotgun or, even better, get the NTG-3 shotgun; there is currently a special where it comes with the blimp for $1.

Back