Recorder, Pre-Amp, or Mixer

I have been lurking here for a while, I searched for an answer for my question, but can't find an answer. I switched to using a 60d. Most of the work I do is on the fly candid interviews, and training type videos. Most of the time I am a one man band. I wonder if it would be a better investment to get a preamp like the sound devices MM-1 or a mixer directly into the camera, rather than settling on a recorder like the zoom h4n or the tascam dr-100. The reasoning is that from all of the samples I have heard the tascam and zoom just fall a little short.

Even though most of my work is simple and web bound, I've fallen victim to the audio cheap out bug before. Rather than fall flat on my face this time, I am trying to avoid buying the wrong gear. I am on a very tight budget, but i won't make compromises on the main gear investments. I do plan on getting a recorder just going to need a preamp if i get a cheap one.

My setup I'm building needs to be light and small since I shoot (ugh) run and gun for income. Im leaning towards the at875 over the rode ntg-2 since its more forgiving for self booming, plus I like the sparkle (brightness) it has. I know a lav would be better, but I can't be wired and one location does not allow wireless. So I am planing for phantom, and the zoom and tascam worry me for devouring batteries.

I know if I go the preamp or mixer route, I will be able to use almost any recorder in the long run and get high quality from it. I know the other basics like having the shock mount, boom pole, and a set of decent cans, (trying to decide on the hd-280 vs mdr 7506). Im not sure if I have a viable idea, or if I'm just trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Thanks for your input,
Anthony

I'd go with a Juicelink box. Good preamp, phantom power and you can record direct to camera. It becomes part of the camera assembly and thus makes good sense for one man banding.

The audio implementation of the 60D is extremely substandard, using a juicedLink box will not be a substantial improvement.

The H4n and DR-100, although only fair for production sound work, are definitely better than the 60D/juicedLink combo.

The MM-1 is an excellent unit - smooth pre-amp, headphone out, supplies phantom power and built like a tank. You can mate it with just about anything and get decent sound. However, once you purchase a decent recorder the cost will more than a PMD-661 ($600) or FR2-LE ($600).

MM-1 ($385) + DR-100 ($330) = $705

Even if you get a cheaper recorder like a DR-7, DR-1, H2n, etc, you're very close to the price of the PMD-661 or FR2-LE.

Since you're doing run 'n' gun having one unit instead of a mixer (or pre) plus the recorder is one less connection and one less worry. Of course adding a battery pack or two hikes up your cost, but you'll save on batteries on the long run.

Just another thought - the PMD-661 or FR2-LE are fairly robust so will take the abuse of run 'n' gun.

Just food for thought...

Thanks for all the info. I guess I was looking at really expensive lipstick for my pig. Although maybe I should look again at the ntg-2 just for the battery option if I need it. Im far from a sound guy, but from past experience passable or ok wont get you too far. Even with a good sound guy its good to have a usable backup just in case. Even if it's just reference audio.

Back