Recommendations For Best Shotgun Mics?

Hi Everyone:

I have been using a Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun mic for various stuff, it's around $216 new right now from B & H Photo.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300615-REG/Audio_Technica_AT897_AT897_Short_Condenser.html

But here's the problem: The thing is a little on the hissy/noisy side! FYI, I use a Tascam DR-40 and a 8-track Zoom recorder, same results with both recorders. To make sure it wasn't the mic, I also recorded some voiceover tests with my AKG C 3000; that mic was SUBSTANTIALLY quieter than the shotgun mic.

This extra noise is a problem when I compress the signal in Pro Tools; it brings up the hiss along with the voice tracks, not good (and I don't like the noise reduction plug ins much). And so:

I would LOVE some recommendations on shotgun mics that are quieter than the Audio Technica, hopefully in the $200 - $400 price range. Has any used Azden, Rode, Shure or ????

I'm not overly technical, so my brain is hurting trying to decipher what the specs on these mics mean (if they even list them online). I'm just trying to discover which ones to expect will be the quietest, and how much it costs to achieve that element.

THANK YOU

chef

Last edited:
Okay, first, you are ALWAYS going to increase background noise when compressing a sound - ALWAYS (Ya canna defy the laws of physics, Captain!). BTW, you do not want to overly compress dialog tracks, just a little bit (2:1 or 3:1) is enough. Are you ducking the volume between lines of dialog?

VO is an entirely different subject.

Hiss can be reduced with a low pass filter (do this before compressing), and you may want to try some noise reduction like iZotope RX2 (also before compressing).

The mic pres on the Tascam DR-40 and a 8-track Zoom recorder are inherently noisy themselves. Now, the AKG C 3000 gives a much hotter signal than the AT897, (you did know that the AT897 has a lower signal output level than most shotguns by about -6dB, right?), so you can lower the gain on the DR-40 and Zoom 8-track, hence less noise from the mic pres.

As you can see there are several problems you need to address - low mic output level, noisy mic pres, noise reduction and compression.

The Rode NTG-1 is a step sideways, as is the Audio Technica AT875; they'll have a hotter output signal, but need phantom power supplied externally. As far as a better shotgun, the Rode NTG-3 is really nice for the price. You may also want to check out the Sennheiser ME-66 (there are used ones to be had). Probably way out of your price range, but there's the Sennheiser MKH 8060, the Neumann KMR81, the Sanken CS-1e, and the Schoeps CMIT5U is fantastic.

Seriously, though, you may want to think about a better audio recorder, Or you may want to consider putting a mixer like the PSC ProMix-3 into the signal chain, that way you get cleaner mic pres and avoid the mic pre problems with the DR-40 and the Zoom.

BTW, iZotope has a demo version that useable.

When doing NR do it a little at a time - a scalpel, not a chain saw. I've had times when I've done five or six passes, or done some basic (light) NR with Digidesign/Avid BNR then chained two NR plugs and two EQs on a sub buss (7-band EQ, iZotope RX, SoundSoap Pro, 7-band EQ), and still done a couple of passes. The idea is that you eliminate one problem (i.e. hiss with the low pass of the EQ), then a little broadband noise (SSP), then a little fine NR (iRX2), then some sculpting (EQ).

The only way you can get REALLY good NR in one pass is with something like a Cedar Cambridge system, about $16,000. Otherwise you have to take the long, painstaking indie approach.

Back