realistic hanging

At the end of my latest project, a music video, I plan to have the main character hang himself. Dont worry this act goes along with the song. I plan to have the camera rotate around him as he is hanging. I know how to do the rotating camera trick, but i am having trouble comming up with how to make it look like the actor has hung himself with out accually hanging the actor. Your suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks for your time.

At the end of my latest project, a music video, I plan to have the main character hang himself. Dont worry this act goes along with the song. I plan to have the camera rotate around him as he is hanging. I know how to do the rotating camera trick, but i am having trouble comming up with how to make it look like the actor has hung himself with out accually hanging the actor. Your suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks for your time.

Go to www.amspecinc.com and buy a harness. They have specific ones designed for exactly what you're trying to do. The actor has a cable attached to the harness. which is run down the "Hangin rope" and carries all of the weight. The noose fits around his neck (just make sure the tension is right, and all of the weight is taken by the harness) with just enough tension to look real.

Wow - great little tip.

Is it a SAG production? I imagine if you have your actor in there - you need to have your insurance up to date - and you may want to use a stuntman for the actual movement of the hanging.

You should have a stunt coordinator on set too.

Good luck!

Use a dummy?

use the same clothes and shoes, and dont shoot the face from the low angle. shoot his face as he puts the rope around his neck and then shoot from a low angle the dummy hanging in the air.
i would try that if i were you.

That’s a great idea. Or, you could have the actor hanging from his arms off camera and that way he can jerk and move his legs realistically. Also, you can have a cutaway CU of this face makeup blue with a fake noose but his feet will be on the ground. I hope that makes sense. I think the viewer’s imagination is better than the camera could be in this situation.

Back