"Re-times" in coloring

I was reading an article on coloring. In that, it said "As a director, first approach the technical problems of a film: acquisition format, color space, codecs. Then approach re-times, pan & scans, and repositions." I don't know what re-times means in terms of coloring. I googled, but I couldn't get anything relevant. Does anyone know what re-times means in terms of coloring?

Thanks.

"Color Timing

Color timing is the colorization of film as it is being developed, involving the photo-chemical process in creating colorized prints. Color timing was used extensively with films before the digital age and performed in a laboratory. Color timing is used to manipulate the color and give the scene a consistent look between shots. It has a great effect on filmed images, as it controls the `look' of the film, with respect to exposure and color balance, as well as scene-to-scene continuity.

The color timer uses a machine known as a `Hazeltine' which reverses images on the original negatives and displays them on a television-like screen, and then turns dials to assign the image `printers points' for each of the three primary colors (red, green, blue). These `points' range from 0 to 50, with about 25 being `normal,' with higher numbers making the image darker, and lower numbers making the image lighter. Each scene is timed, and the printer's points for each scene are encoded onto a punched paper tape. Once the final print and color options are locked, the film is printed directly off via laser and the traditional color-timing stage is finished. The term `timer' comes from the days before automated printers when the `timer' had to determine how long certain portions of be allowed to sit in the developer.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a modern update on this concept. It was the first film to really harness the digital color grading process, even before the term "digital color grading" existed. It has since been used on several other films, including Lord of the Rings and Pleasantville."

I think in this case re-times means speeding up or slowing down of the footage. This kind of effect along with re-positioning might be handled by a VFX artist, but might also be done directly by the colorist if the effect can move from the edit software to Resolve. In either case the advice being given is to handle formats and color space, etc., then deal with footage sped up, slowed down, re-positioned or scaled.

Back