Rates for DIY Screenings

Hi there,

When organising screenings for my feature (primarily at indie theatres, music venues etc), I am wondering if I should request a one-off licensing fee to screen or a percentage of the door? Or is it the case that I won't really have a choice between the two as it will general be contingent on each venue's policy?

If I should ask for a set one-off licensing fee, I am wondering what would be a fair sum? And if going for the door split, what sort of percentages would be appropriate?

Thanks!

Hi there,

When organising screenings for my feature (primarily at indie theatres, music venues etc), I am wondering if I should request a one-off licensing fee to screen or a percentage of the door? Or is it the case that I won't really have a choice between the two as it will general be contingent on each venue's policy?

If I should ask for a set one-off licensing fee, I am wondering what would be a fair sum? And if going for the door split, what sort of percentages would be appropriate?

Thanks!
I don't know the UK market at all but here in the States there are no
theaters I know of that will screen a feature for a percentage of the door.

A suspect an appropriate percentage is one that leans heavily to the space.
After all they have overhead. They can play a "known" movie that will draw
an audience or they can play your movie that may not draw an audience.
Yet they still have to pay employees. So they are taking a huge risk.

If you can get a venue to pay you upfront to screen your movie I suspect the
fee would be low. For the same reasons. If your movies doesn't draw an
audience they lose money.

Maybe I've misunderstood the OP but he seems to have it backwards. While I obviously can't speak for all venues, as a general rule if you want to hire a venue, you pay them, they don't pay you to use their venue.

If you're charging admission, then generally you pay the venue hire fee and then some split of the box office is agreed.

G

Regardless of weather you have produced a low budget indie film or a high budget film with A-List actors, you can plan on paying for your screening. Theatres, auditoriums, and other venues will charge you by the hour...usually in 4-hour blocks. They don't care if you charge admission or not, and they will likely keep all of the concession money.

In the case of an auditorium rental, you will most likely have to pay additional charges for liability insurance, and for additional staff such as box office personnel, a projectionist, janitorial fees and so forth. If you charge admission, you may also have to get a temporary business license.

If you rent a theatre, I have found that Tuesdays are usually the cheapest.

Back