• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Quickie in the Kitchen CUT

Ka Pow!! After nearly a month and a half of shooting, we finally done! :)

As I mentioned in my previous post, the screenplay's estimate was 8 minutes long, but the movie came to be little longer than 4 minutes.. weird!!

Anyways, here is the chopped up video.

I tried to cut off the fats and hold on to bare minimums to keep story going and avoid drags..

No audio has been done yet (starting tomorrow!), no color correction, no fancy titles, NOTHING but pure innocent sexy edit.

Please let me know if the pacing sucks, or something catches your eye!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy8X5FqIwMw

And yes, that is me in Raccoon mascot :-D My friend didn't show up to fill the part, so I had to shoot myself.. weak!

PS. there are some frames that are off centered. that's me messing with the crops..

Last edited:
You have skills, and a basic sense for story-telling. Pretty rare, to be honest. One thing I've done for a while now is watch cuts without audio to see if they make sense, and yours did. In fact, it was better without any audio (for right now, I know you haven't done any audio stuff).

The acting's definitely very pale, but you can always fix that in the next one. It's a matter of changing the performance or the actor.

Watch out for extraneous shots, though. Like close-ups that really don't flow with the rest of the cut.

What was up with the post-slow-mo hand curl?

If this had been any longer it probably would not have been an easy watch, but as it stands it's pretty much fine at this length.

You also may need to find a moment to shoot that hitman's vehicle pulling up, the black space probably won't play well in the final.

And, above all, make sure that you're paying things off in a way that people understand. Although even WITHOUT Audio it was an easy watch (which is saying a ton, trust me...) I have no idea what the point was.

Good work.

Thank you Kholi!

Definitely need to replace the black screen with the pulled up car.
And yes, Weird curled up hand needs to go..

There isn't really any point to the movie. Just a story of a guy, dealing with an unpleasant intruder at home.

I hope the audio will benefit to the video and not opposite ;)

Thank you very much for kind words! Most of the knowledge came from this forum! woot

Last edited:
There isn't really any point to the movie. Just a story of a guy, dealing with an unpleasant intruder at home.

That's a point, though. As small as it may be. And, I do kinda see that it's just an exercise, but even something like Knightly's comment about hanging on reactions can help sew it up.

Great! Thats you for watching :)

Im happy to hear that at least I've got the basics covered, and the film is watchable!
Keeping fingers crossed that there is a film festival that will take it..

Last edited:
If you bring up the mids just a tick, it should uncrush the blacks a bit and stretch out those darks.

In film, you're "exposing" a coating on a negative which reacts to light. Where light hits it, the coating stays when later processed. In negative film (think 100 years of hollywood), whites are REALLY EASY to expose and quite forgiving to overexposure. Where all the attention has been spent in that world is the darker areas, the shadows. Light thrown in to compensate for the areas of an image that film processing literally washes away.

Due to these two ends of the exposure "thing," I've been finding that stretching the blacks (while making sure they actually touch 0 on the 'scopes) and crushing the whites a bit (while still making sure they stop at 100 on the 'scopes) gives me a bit more of a "filmic" look if not a cinematic one.

Crushed blacks really didn't come around (other than in noir) until DI grading was popularized.

gotcha! i ll try it out tonight, see if i could get cleaner look. I was watching whites on the scope, but also noticed that blacks where through 0 mark, at about -10.. oops, hehe
i ll run the whole thing through the scope again, with a fresh pair of eyes!

as always, thank you for sharing the knowledge

No worries... I never through the "crush the blacks" mantra actually looked "FILMIC"... just "CINEMATIC". Couple that with the constant request for "How do I make my $200 video camera from the eyeglasses department at costco look like 35mm film?" I tried to figure out what REALLY makes film look like film from an onset approach rather than a charts and gamma curves comparison.

Back