• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Questions on Loosely based on and mood

Hi,

I have a question about writing a screenplay that is loosly based on a book. Would I have to get the rights to the books or can I go ahead and write it as long as I'm not copying anything in the book? For example, I read a R.L. Stine book and I liked the idea and from that I got another idea kind of similar. The only things that would be the same are the location, that its a ghost story and maybe the number of main characters. Do I have to ask permission?

Second, how do you get into the mood to write? I don't mean writers block. Sometimes I'm writing and then I just don't feel like working on it anymore for a while. Anybody have any tips on how to get over it?

Thanks, BWC

As you describe the situation, "No", you would not need rights or permission.
The key is to not have YOUR intellectual product look like an obvious fan fiction knock off of SOMEONE ELSE'S intellectual product.

Several main characters and a ghost in a location having a predicament could be anyone, anywhere, doing anything.

DANCES WITH WOLVES: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
THE LAST SAMURAI: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen
AVATAR: Disillusioned soldier meets traditional enemies makes friends fights against countrymen

Make the differences significant.

Second: Different people have different writing patterns.
Some commit to X hours at a specific time of opportunity.
Some commit to X number of pages a day.
Some watch inspiring movies similar to what they are about to write.
A lot of sleep helps some people, while other's do better with less sleep.
Liquor is an oldie but goodie.
I map out the outline first, then start filling in gross plot points and necessary characters, then nail down all the details minute by minute across the project - then start writing the actual screenplay.
Others just start writing with zero idea of where the story will end or how they're going to get there.

It's like sex: what works for you might or might not be what's good for the other party involved.
You can tell when it's working and when it's perfunctory. Results will vary. :lol:

Last edited:
Back