• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Questions on Color Grading Options/Monitors

Hi all, I'm hoping somebody on this thread can help me make a decision about my color grading options.

I am an independent filmmaker trying to take my editing skills to the next level. I have just recently learned the importance of having a properly calibrated monitor for color grading purposes. With that being said I am now in the market for affordable color correction options. Unfortunately I am not able to dish out $3000+ for a pro color grading monitor. But from the research I have done it seems that there are some affordable options that are "good enough" to get the job done.

I am currently editing on a 27" 5k Retina display imac and the footage I edit is either 1080p or 4K. I am looking for a second reference monitor or even to be able to just work with what I have if possible.

Below are some questions.

Am I better off just calibrating my 5k iMac with a pro calibrating tool like the spyder or x-rite i1, or should I be looking to get another monitor and calibrating that monitor instead?

If I get a secondary monitor could anybody tell me if these are indeed solid options https://davidtorcivia.com/spring-2016-entry-level-monitors-roundup/ and perhaps one that you would most recommend?

Also this might seem kind of a dumb question but in order to properly color correct 4K footage will I need just a 4K reference monitor as well or are there other variables to consider?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Looking forward to seeing some of your answers.

-Andrew

Getting another computer monitor is not necessarily better than using what you already have, especially considering the quality of the screen on a 5k Retina iMac. In fact, by opting for a cheap computer monitor, you're probably going to get a worse quality image than if you just used the iMac.

There are plenty of upsides to a second (or third) monitor, but to do accurate colour correction, you shouldn't be skimping.

I would suggest calibrating what you have as closely as possible - however keep in mind that that's not a perfect solution. Don't get fooled into thinking that calibrating it will magically make it super accurate. It will simply make it more accurate than it was before.

To properly see what you're doing at 4k, you should use a 4k monitor, however again there are plenty of pitfalls with cheap screens.

Back