• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Questions about capitalizing

Hi All!

I am writing my first screenplay for a short and I have been reading up on how it should be formatted and generally what to do and not to do. One thing that puzzles me though is the capitalizing within "Action" segments. Am I supposed to capitalize everything when it is the first time that particular object is introduced into the story? So if my already introduced character is sitting at a desk never mentioned before, would that be capitalized? I know that characters are always capitalized the first time they are used but I am not so sure about objects and things.

I've read a couple of example screenplays but it seems that it's not done exactly the same all the time (or that I am too slow to understand why it's not).

By the way, I am using Celtx which has been a great help to me so far.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry for stirring things up here when it was just a very simple and generic question :).

Thanks 2001, I've noticed that style as well and it certainly has its merits. I know that you are right about what is important to focus on, I just tend to be more efficient in what I do if I know that I am not blatantly breaking some very basic rules.

Wheat, thanks for your opinion. This is the first screenplay that I am writing for a short that, if ever filmed, would be no longer than 10 minutes or so. I will put it up here when I am done for you people to tear it apart, I think that would be very helpful for me.

Thanks all for your time and responses :).

Thanks Directorik for your input. I am sure a lot of the things that a new writer is asking about is stuff that is not set in stone and that a lot of people would be having a difference in opinion about.

I am just trying to gain that basic knowledge where I can sit down and write my scenes without having to worry about if I am formatting/wording the scene in a way that would put any potential reader off. This is of course true even if I do not expect my script to be picked up by anyone.

It wasn't my intention to sound scolding; my apologies if it came across that way. And I wasn't directing my comment specifically at you, Brandon, but in reference to the many new writers who've asked similar questions recently on this forum. I think folks get intimidated by what seems to be an "etched-in-stone" format for screenplays and don't realize that it's really not all that strict, beyond some basic guidelines. As long as it's easy to read and holds one's interest, the minutiae are trivial.

No offense taken 2001, I do appreciate your advice and I agree with what you are saying.

As a newbie, yes indeed, it does seem like there are a bunch of rules that must be adhered to. After reading up on the general ideas and thoughts about how to format the screenplay it's quite simple to fall into the trap of thinking too much about the technicalities.

I am very grateful for all the help and feedback received here, make no mistake about it :).

citychik - that’s an interesting link. As you say, it’s not
perfect. In fact this writer makes a mistake early on and the
“notes” don’t mention it. The script reads:

EMIL COLLINS, 70’s, buttons his shirt after an exam.

and the notes say:

We begin at the point where the essential scene moment begins. We see a guy dressing, we see a doctor – we can figure out he just had an exam.

The reason the reader figures out the old man has just had an exam
is because the writer breaks the “show don’t tell” rule right away
and tells us. I’m not saying that line shouldn’t be there, I’m
saying that writing, “EMIL COLLINS, 70’s, buttons his shirt.”
would be just as good.
Ah, I didn't catch that! Thanks for pointing it out.

That's why...

No offense taken 2001, I do appreciate your advice and I agree with what you are saying.

As a newbie, yes indeed, it does seem like there are a bunch of rules that must be adhered to. After reading up on the general ideas and thoughts about how to format the screenplay it's quite simple to fall into the trap of thinking too much about the technicalities.

I am very grateful for all the help and feedback received here, make no mistake about it :).

It's good to use screenwriting software... Even if it's Celtx which is free. This way, you use the software as you write and really get to know the INS and OUTS of that software. Once you become adept at using just about any screenwriting software, the learning curve to using another different piece of software is easy.

But the best thing about becoming proficient with a piece of screenwriting software is that you will be writing 85% to 90% of your screenplay in proper screenplay format -- more or less because the software does it all for you thus allowing you to concentrate on story and characters.

At that point, it's usually only rare instances that one will need to revisit the formatting of a particular screenplay element...

filmy

Back