Question on lenses for Mini DV Cameras

Hi all, I was just wondering are the wide angle and telephoto lenses for a Mini DV camera the same as a wide and long lenses on a film camera? Thanks!

CootDog said:
I have a wide angle on my DV cam that pretty much stayes on there.. I have it set like this:

Lense---Filter---Cam

...Coot, what kind of camera do you have? I have been trying to get some info on wide angle lenses for my DVX, but I have also been told that it doesn't add that much and that I should go without one. Do you have an opinion? Any advice?

--spinner :cool:

Lenses for DV cameras are add-ons, which means more glass (and not the highest quality unelss you spend buttloads of cash) for light to travel through before it gets to your less-latitude and less-resolution-than-film CCD's. In other words, avoid them unless you absolutely need them for some specific reason.

I like the lense... It's a cheap one and the cam is cheap too... a GS120, which I haven't used for a while due to this 3D animation movie... But it has the lense on it all the time. I have a telephoto too but haven't found much use for it yet.

I have found a big difference, especially when shooting inside a house...

I bet you would with the GS120 :).

Buying a wide angle lens for the DVX isn't really necessary since the built in wide angle is as wide as, if not greater than, most other DV cameras with a wide angle adapter. Still, if you need it (which does happen) go for the Century Optics glass. Nice high quality stuff.

Yea, the GS120 is all I had money for at the time... I could have waited for a little while longer to get a better one, but I HAD to make a film... so I went with what I could afford.

Oh definitely :). Wasn't criticizing the camera! The DVX info was in response to spinners question about the DVX + Wide angle. I have a GS70 (first three chip consumer cam by Panasonic) and it's surprisingly good for its price.

Back