• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question exportin EDL containers in Premiere Pro.

I am trying to export all my video shots in their separate cuts in an EDL container, for a colorist, so she can color all my cuts individually. However, when I make the EDL container, it only allows me to export the cuts off of one video track. Where as I have cuts in a few of the video tracks, and I would like the EDL container to take them all.

Am I doing something wrong? Basically I just want to get all the cuts out of the project individually so they can all be graded on their own, so how would I do that, if EDL is not the answer?

Thanks.

Okay I see what you mean. Apparently when you turn an H.264 file from the camera, into an uncompressed AVI file, it makes the file 10 times bigger or more. So I am having a really hard time getting the file to the colorist. We tried some different websites like dropbox and wetransfer, but none of those host servicing sites, will take a file over 10 GB. One tiny clip on it's own can practically be 10 GB, so that means I would have to give her each shot individually, which will take a very long time. We tried meeting in person, since we don't live in the same city, but it kept taking forever to move the movie to her harddrive and she had to leave and did not have hours or even a day, to wait, however long it would have taken.

So how do I possibly get the movie to her, if I am suppose to render it in an uncompressed AVI format?

Last edited:
/still eating popcorn

Answer: Usually on a hard drive.
With original, uncompromised footage.

When you figure this out, I hope you look back on this thread and be voluntarily willing to perform that move I described earlier.

If it's going to take hours/days to copy files, are you expecting other methods to be faster? Have you tried printing it out and faxing it to her?

So how do I possibly get the movie to her, if I am suppose to render it in an uncompressed AVI format?

The answer is still, on a hard drive. Copy it over. Ship it. It's not really that complicated. You could always try carrier pigeon. Hell, you could try a strip-o-gram delivery for all I care. I still think you're still doing it wrong.

The truth of the matter is you have no idea what you're doing. At best you're fumbling around with your eyes closed. You need to go get some training. Seriously. Read a lot of books and do a lot of courses on the subject. Until that happens, you need someone to set you up, sit you at a desk and write down each and every step to doing the task at hand along with some electrical shock device that electrocutes you if you deviate or go too slow. At least you're entertaining me. I hired someone like you many years ago. Part of my "I can train anyone. Give me your worst and I'll prove it." Needless to say, I was wrong. Really wrong. I'm rather relieved (and entertained) knowing that he may have a long lost cousin.

You're not capable of figuring out how to copy files from your hard drive and get it on to another hard drive without needing a forum post. Your problem solving skills need some serious help.

One thing for sure. You have a thick skin. You need it.

H44, you've been at this for many years now. What do you have to show for it?

While it may be subtle to others, it needs to be stated for h44.

It was shot using a h.264 codec and for some reason he's converting to uncompressed AVI and complaining about the file size. I'm convinced he's not even aware of the reasons he would want to change the codec in the first place. He'll probably copy the footage on to HDD #1 and send the colorist HDD #2 and ask IndieTalk why FedEX converted his files to PDF and delivered them to his neighbors dog.

I converted the codec to uncompressed AVI because I was told to on here before, cause it's the best quality codec for post production purposes. Or that's what I was told before.

Last edited:
Garbage in, Garbage out.

You've also been told to expose your footage correctly. Does that mean you're going to set up a light while editing under exposed footage?

So while you're right for visual effects purposes, what you're doing is along the lines of getting a multiple hour taxi ride, driving to another city and returning to your neighbors house instead of just walking a couple minutes down the road because you don't stop and think before acting. You're applying an answer from a different topic to grading without possessing even the vaguest clue. With this logic, I'm sure I'm going to find a post somewhere on the internet where you try to paint a house with a Matte Box just because a camera assistant told you it'll help block the light. Answer me this: What benefit exactly are you going to gain going from a x.264 codec to an uncompressed codec?

There is another method does doesn't require a super large export and maintains the exact same file size of the original files while using a well established workflow designed for color grading. The answer can be found multiple times within this thread.

Back