• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

question about sound on film set

so i have been watching some film behind the scenes and i noticed you hear someone yelling certain actions during the take, such as fall or die or whatever they want the actor to do at a certain time so he knows. how would you go about removing the sound of what the person is saying? i am thinking they would just have to remove all the sound and make it using foley themselves, but im looking for a solid answer, thanks for any help.

so i have been watching some film behind the scenes and i noticed you hear someone yelling certain actions during the take, such as fall or die or whatever they want the actor to do at a certain time so he knows. how would you go about removing the sound of what the person is saying? i am thinking they would just have to remove all the sound and make it using foley themselves, but im looking for a solid answer, thanks for any help.

Yes, you are correct. In a film for commercial release (theatrical or TV) the majority of sound effects are poorly recorded in the first place, as the production sound mixer's priority is virtually always recording good dialogue and eliminating other sounds. Additionally, all sound effects are edited out of the production dialogue and placed on "production sound effects" (PFX) channels which then are either replaced (by the Foley of sound FX teams) or routed to the sound effects stem. The only exception to this is room tone, which is used in the dialogue stem to: 1. Fill the holes created by editing out sound effects (and unwanted sounds). 2. Used to smooth dialogue edits and 3. Used under ADR to match it with production dialogue. Obviously, if you haven't recorded room tone, you've got a bit of a problem!

In the case of a sound effect occurring at exactly the same moment as dialogue both the dialogue and the sound effect would have to be replaced.

G

Last edited:
Back