question about recording audio on set.

So in some behind the scenes video i see the actors acting and the boom operator doing his job and the director will tell the actors during the shot when to look in certain directions or react at a certain time. My question is since the audio for the scene is also being recorded you would hear the director yelling when you sync up the audio so how are you supposed to get clean sound when you need to direct the actors during the scene? My only assumption would be the sounds in the scene would have to be done using ADR?

You edit around the director's voice. You pull out set audio and replace it with recorded room tone and sound effects or Foley.

Typically, the main audio your trying to grab on set is the actors' dialogue. Everything else is sound design in post.

Just to expand a little...

Unless there is a major problem you don't hear/see the director stepping on the dialog, her/his instructions take place between the lines of dialog.

During a proper audio post everything between the lines of dialog is stripped out (usually to a muted/inactive track). The empty space between is replaced with room-tone/ambience. All human made sounds - footsteps, cloth, etc. - is performed by the Foley team. All sound effects are created/selected and spotted, the score & source music is spotted, and then the mix is done. On large budget projects only the dialog from the set is present in the final mix, and it is not unusual for the dialog to come from alternate takes or dialog wilds, and, depending upon the nature of the film, a little to a large amount of the dialog is ADRed.

Back