Question about GoPro type cameras.

I was thinking of getting one for shots hooking the camera up to a car or camera helicopter. I took a look at how they look on youtube, and in the store where I live, but the thing is, is that the image is way too wide.

Are their any GoPros or anything like that with a lens equivalent to 50mm at least?

The difference between a phantom and say a f450 (quad copter), is also with the phantom you get a tx/receiver. With an almost ready to fly f450 package there is no transmitter or receiver. You have to purchase those seperatly. A little over a year ago, I bought an f550 (hexacopter) package, with gps, 2 lipo batteries, and tx/receiver combo, and it cost just shy of $1600. Since then I added landing gear ($120), gopro gimbal ($160), and gopro hero 3 black ($400 with 2 extreme pro sd cards). I've also added upgraded props ($72), and 2 more batteries ($90). I get about 12 min air time with each battery. My next step is to add fpv capabilities (roughly another $300 to $400). For another $500 (for heavy lift motors) and probably ($800) for a decent gimbal that could carry a DSLR, I could fly a bigger camera. I'm not interested in doing that, with the f550 (hexacopter). Plus as I said before, buying anything other then the phantom (unless you buy a ready to fly package, which cost even more money), you'll have to asssemble yourself. Requires a little bit of soldering. I managed to figure it out, so it isn't terribly difficult.

I'll say this, I've spent hours in an empty field, practicing something as simple as nose in circling. It's one thing to fly one of these. But it's completely different trying to fly, and point the camera were you want it to go. Especially if you don't have fpv. I've seen a couple of milescreation aerial videos, and I wondering how much unusable footage he's shot to get the very good footage he's shown? I find flying blind very hard, when it comes to shooting video.

Last edited:
A very simply way to get a steady shot of an actor in a car while driving is almost the obvious. Just lay on the hood of the car, and have the actor drive it and shoot the actor. I mean I am not saying driving 30+ miles an hour, but you know 5-20 should be fine, and long as they don't slam on the breaks. I did this for a shot, turned out really cool. Just watch the speed and how you are laying sitting, and to not block to much of the view the driver has.

No. No, no, no, no, NO! This is horrible, horrible advice. Anyone who follows it deserves what they get, which is a hospital stay (or worse...). That same person will have plenty of legal precedent for suing the person who gave that advice.

Never, ever put your life at risk for stupid crap like this. It's an easy shot, easily taken from the back of a camera car driving in front. Van, pickup, SUV... take your pick. Shoot out the back toward the process car and you'll get what you need.

There are suction cup mounts that can handle lightweight cameras as well, and those can be attached to the hood of the process car, or to the door to shoot from the side (unless you have the budget for a full-size mounting rig with hostess tray).

I'll say this, I've spent hours in an empty field, practicing something as simple as nose in circling. It's one thing to fly one of these. But it's completely different trying to fly, and point the camera were you want it to go. Especially if you don't have fpv. I've seen a couple of milescreation aerial videos, and I wondering how much unusable footage he's shot to get the very good footage he's shown? I find flying blind very hard, when it comes to shooting video.

It's taken a bit of practice and every time I've done it (and got decent results) I've running along behind or near where the quad is flying so that I have a basic idea of the shot. The 2min pedal vehicle video I made used all the useable footage I had. About 2:30min out of 12min ish of footage and I would consider that quite good compared to what I often get. If I wasn't running near it the shots wouldn't be anywhere near as good. Fpv is essential.... Unless you have no money :(

Last edited:
No. No, no, no, no, NO! This is horrible, horrible advice. Anyone who follows it deserves what they get, which is a hospital stay (or worse...). That same person will have plenty of legal precedent for suing the person who gave that advice.

Never, ever put your life at risk for stupid crap like this. It's an easy shot, easily taken from the back of a camera car driving in front. Van, pickup, SUV... take your pick. Shoot out the back toward the process car and you'll get what you need.

There are suction cup mounts that can handle lightweight cameras as well, and those can be attached to the hood of the process car, or to the door to shoot from the side (unless you have the budget for a full-size mounting rig with hostess tray).

I saw a mistyped speed number, thank god you caught me. The thing I was trying to say was keep it very slow, so unless you are driving like an idiot beside a cliff or something you should be fine. I mean 1-5, (10 if you trust the driver) because the amount of velocity it would take you (assume a 150lbs person) for any real serious injury is fast (over my suggestion). Or if you get driven over, which is well.....hit the brake, because it gives you at least 10seconds from start to end(ground) to stop. But going back to what you are saying, yes a suction cup is very is (or duct tape my favorite) very easy shot to get. But if you are seriously fretting over a shot like that, I am trying to show that it is a very easy shot even with no equipment at all.

Edit: I mean I do not think this is the best/safest way to get this shot, but this is what you could do to get the shot with the least amount of equipment and people.

Last edited:
Okay thanks people. In youtube videos you see people flying them all the time at their own recreation, so I didn't think you needed a license and permits. So how come indie filmmakers are using these, when it's cheaper just to rent a pilot who has his own real helicopter?

Listen, it's a fun hobby. And I've just recently added a gimbal, so hope to do some cool aerial video stuff, for myself and any local indie filmmakers who'd like to add some production value to their films. I'm not telling you to not do it. Was just telling you about the cost and learning it takes to do this.

I say get yourself a phantom or small quad and learn to fly. Maybe you can become the guy in your area film makers call when they want a cool aerial shot.

I just wanted you to know it takes lots of time, practice and money to do this. It's not a cheap start up cost, then great video.

Well I was told the whole thing will cost $4000, compared to hiring a pilot who has his/her own helicopter maybe. So anyone who has their own, or even a cropdusting plane, would be cheaper. So why would anyone, including me, choose to go with a drone, when a real chopper is cheaper? I might do it, but I have to figure in all the costs.

Last edited:
I have about $2500 in my setup right now (including the gopro 3). I'm not doing it for any single project. It's something I've had an interest in for a long time. So I decided to build and learn to fly, what I consider an entry level craft. I've enjoyed learning to fly it. If I just had a single project in mind, I probably would have hired someone who already had a setup and was able to get the shot I wanted. Flying my hexacopter is another hobby of mine, just like indie film making.

When I started looking into aerial video, I wasn't finding answers anyplace. When you started asking, I thought I'd help with any advice I could give. Since so few were willing to give it to me. As I said before, I've spent a year building and learning to fly (a lot of that was simply no time to spend, so took a year). I enjoy flying, it's fun.

If you have the time, money, and interest in it, it's a great hobby.

Last edited:
Well I was told the whole thing will cost $4000, compared to hiring a pilot who has his/her own helicopter maybe. So anyone who has their own, or even a cropdusting plane, would be cheaper. So why would anyone, including me, choose to go with a drone, when a real chopper is cheaper? I might do it, but I have to figure in all the costs.

Facepalm. For the type of shots you *want* and were talking about it's expensive. And I said $1500 not $4000. But literally the more you pay the better it'll be.

Answering my own reasoning that you asked for Jeff, the reason I have spent money is because it is an area I want to get into semi seriously. I've spent about $1500 and I'd say that is the minimum.

Back