• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about getting sound.

I was looking to people who have made films in where I live, to get advice on how to get good sound. One thing some people have said on here, is that when shooting outdoors, use a shotgun mic, and use a cardioid for indoors. However one guy I talk to who has made a movie, shot every indoor seen with a Sennheiser MK 416, he rented each time. He hired a sound guy to do it, but has no idea how he was able to get a shotgun mic to sound so good for indoors. If it can be done, that would save me buying another mic, but how do you get achieve that cardioid sound, with a shotgun? I will get a sound guy as well, but I wanna know how it works since it's my project of course. Thanks.

Last edited:
I shot my whole feature with a 416, indoors and out. The sound isnt always perfect and I've had to re-dub some of it, but I hate fiddling around with clip mics. I bought my mic as renting causes too many headaches - not least, collecting and returning equipment. I figured over a year I would spend as much renting as buying one and the resale price for a 416 is v good. I didn't have a pro sound person, my best mate and my girlfriend did the job without any training or previous experience. It does show occasionally but again, I couldn't afford a pro or to be hassled finding one for every shoot. Good sound is very important, tho.

Yeah you're right. I'll keep practicing with the equipment I bought. I'm just nervous since I cannot find any movies used with my equipment. I mean, it's like entering the Indy 500 with a much cheaper car, not knowing how it will do since it's never been used in the races. But I will use the equipment and try to build up more confidence. And I will do a lot more experimenting and editing before the feature for sure.

I shot my whole feature with a 416, indoors and out. The sound isnt always perfect and I've had to re-dub some of it, but I hate fiddling around with clip mics. I bought my mic as renting causes too many headaches - not least, collecting and returning equipment. I figured over a year I would spend as much renting as buying one and the resale price for a 416 is v good. I didn't have a pro sound person, my best mate and my girlfriend did the job without any training or previous experience. It does show occasionally but again, I couldn't afford a pro or to be hassled finding one for every shoot. Good sound is very important, tho.

Which movie did you make?

Back