• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about color correction.

I was watching a video co-pilot tutorial, and they showed how to change the color of an object by using the 'change a color' plug in, or the 'change color' plug in, in Adobe Premiere Pro.

However when I do it, the color of the object does not change. The whole scene fills in a different color than I picked. How do I just change the color of one object, or what did I do differently? Is there a way of coloring manually as if were a crayon, if the program cannot recognize what I want colored only?

Question 1 is: did you zoom in real close and are you sure you picked the right color?
(Maybe there is a pixel with a color that's all over the scene.)
Question 2:
How distinct from the rest is the color you want to pick?
Question 3:
How is the white balance?
Does the shot has neutral colors or is there a warm (yellow/orange/red) or cool (blueish) hue filling the shot? (In the latter case it can be a lot harder to change colors this way, because every object has a tint that's close to he rest of the shot.)

Question 4:
Did you try to move around the values on the sliders of the effect?
Tolerance: allows you to choose how different from the color you selected the changing colors may by. Low value means little tolerance. High value selects almost evry color.
Softness: this controls the edges. No softness may lead to very hard and unnatural edges.
Change by: you can change the color precisely by selecting Hue, Lightness & Saturation, or you can change 'tint' with Hue & Saturation (original lightness stays intact) or you select Hue & Lightness, or just Hue.

Question 5:
What do you want to change and why?
Does it move around?

NOTE: This reply is a bit advanced and just scratching the surface.
For a lot of challenges there are different possible solutions. Experience will in the end help to find the easiest solution. So this reply is not telling you how to do things, but how you may achieve the desired effect as well.
This is not a complete manual, but it points you to other possibilities by telling where to find the named effects in the effectswindow.
Creating masks is a whole different story and takes too much time to explain: use google.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing a color can be achieved in different ways.
- Change to color is a method you already found.

USING LAYERS:
Sometimes you need to work with layers:
that way you make the part you want to change invisible in the top layer and adjust the color in the layer beneath it.
With this method you can use (to make the top layer invisible):
- extract (it's in the Channel-folder. This makes parts invisible based on luminance (=lightness)
- color key (Keying-folder. Makes a color invisible. Use the Hue, Lightness and Saturation slides. Often you need to combine multiple colorkeys to get the right result)
- chroma key (Keying-folder. Uses tolerance and 'edges')
Sometimes you'll have to combine chroma keys and color keys to get the result you want, but sometimes it just won't work because the color you want to change is to close to other colors.
Keying can take a lot of time when the colors are 'difficult' (close to other colors or not very saturated)
It is exactly in these situations where a better colorsampling codec can make a difference.

USING LAYERS AND MASKS:
Another solution can sometimes be to use a mask. (With this method you use layers as well)
When the part you want to change does not move and nothing moves in front of it:
you can make a mask in Photoshop and put it in the timeline and use the proper effect from the 'keying-folder' to make the mask effective.
When things are moving: go to After Effects to animate masks.
Be aware of it that this method can take a lot of time: before you know it you are spending hours to change a color in a shot of a few seconds. So it has to be worth all the effort!

WORKFLOW TRICK:
When you use masks or key/extract-effects, it is often a good idea to use a colormatte (File > New > Colormatte) with an extreme color (bright saturated green or magenta) and put it 1 track below the track you are applying these effects to. This way you can see much easier which pixels are invisible and which ones are not.

ADJUSTING COLORS:
To change colors in the lower layer (or in general): try different effects from the 'colorbalance-folder'.
HSL (Hue, Saturation, Lightness) and RGB (Red Green Blue) are effects you need to learn to understand. When you know how these effects affect colors you'll understand other effects (color or keying) better as well.

ROUNDING UP:
Changing a color is really just taking a piece of a shot and change it.
So if it can't be done within the shot: take it out of the shot using layers.
To a computer every image is just a collection of colored pixels, so it won't recognize objects. It only recognizes colordifferences.

Okay thanks. I tried zooming on the object then coloring it but that didn't work. Mostly there is just a lot of product placement that I want to get rid of. I didn't have control of removing it on the locations I shot. So I need to recolor it all to get rid of it. I also want to use this color option to fix some other flaws too.

So you want to get rid of brandlogos?
(If I'm understanding you correctly)
Why?

If that's the case: colorcorrection is probably not the way to go.
Welcome to the world of compositing. :p

Why don't you post a still?
(Out of 5 questions you anwser only 2 of them real short. You want a solution for a specific situation, but you give very generic information.)

Yeah, that's not a coloring thing... I had to do that on an industrial video. I had to track the item in the shot and cover the logo with a rotoshape sampling the background color of the item... I used Shake for that, AE would work just fine too, but it's more than just adjusting a curve on a color.

Yeah, that's not a coloring thing... I had to do that on an industrial video. I had to track the item in the shot and cover the logo with a rotoshape sampling the background color of the item... I used Shake for that, AE would work just fine too, but it's more than just adjusting a curve on a color.

Exactly.
I've done that with various logos from competiting manufacturers, a stain on a white floor and 'unwanted pictures' on the background.

Back