• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about booming with a hyper.

I've gotten some volunteer jobs booming for filmmakers' movies. They always want me to use the shotgun, and say it sounds better. One of the reason's why it sounds better is because when I move the mic from person to person, it does not cause any noise. With the hyper (the AT4053b), it makes noises as I shift from person to person. It sounds like how a mic would sound if you were moving it without a shock mount, but I have a shock mount and it still makes the noises. Although the shock mount works for the shotgun mic (the NTG-3).

So I would like to use the hyper indoors cause I think it sounds better for indoors and would like to convince the directors of that. What can I do to stop it from making those noises if a shock mount isn't enough?

Thanks.

Did you check whether there is a 'loose' connection: are the cable and mic firmly connected or can it move and make sounds?

If you want to know where the noise comes from: test test test.

I've gotten some volunteer jobs booming for filmmakers' movies. They always want me to use the shotgun, and say it sounds better. One of the reason's why it sounds better is because when I move the mic from person to person, it does not cause any noise. With the hyper (the AT4053b), it makes noises as I shift from person to person. It sounds like how a mic would sound if you were moving it without a shock mount, but I have a shock mount and it still makes the noises. Although the shock mount works for the shotgun mic (the NTG-3).

So I would like to use the hyper indoors cause I think it sounds better for indoors and would like to convince the directors of that. What can I do to stop it from making those noises if a shock mount isn't enough?

Thanks.

This is just proof that you're not a good boom op. It takes skill and practice to be a good boom op you can just excpect to swing the stuff like a boss just like that.

So what you can do is tell the director that you're not qualified enough to be booming and that he should find someone else.

Yeah but he couldn't find anyone else for free. I can do it with the shotgun easily, and with the hyper, I am doing everything exactly the same, and have done several tests, so not sure what the problem is. When I say that swinging from person to person does not cause any noise, I am not saying that I am making noise. When I swing from person to person, I am totally silent and the director and PSM told me that. The problem is is that the mic is creating a noise, than the human ear cannot hear. It sounds like shock in the mic, but it's the same as a noise the human ear can hear while swinging the mic silently.

Yeah but he couldn't find anyone else for free. I can do it with the shotgun easily, and with the hyper, I am doing everything exactly the same, and have done several tests, so not sure what the problem is. When I say that swinging from person to person does not cause any noise, I am not saying that I am making noise. When I swing from person to person, I am totally silent and the director and PSM told me that. The problem is is that the mic is creating a noise, than the human ear cannot hear. It sounds like shock in the mic, but it's the same as a noise the human ear can hear while swinging the mic silently.

firstly can you provide model details of all the equipement for the audio set up you are using, are you using a deadcat, blimp anything? are you exposing the mic to open air outside without anything covering it?

Handling noise should be reduced if you enable the 80Hz hi-pass filter on the AT4053b. Beyond that, using a better shock mount and improving your booming technique are the only other variables you can really address with that particular microphone.

Know the script, swing the mic between lines (only if you have to)... Generally however, the mic should point toward the same person the camera is pointed at and not move -- they will eventually be married with the shot and makes editing easier for them at their budget level.

More expensive equipment will alleviate alot of the noise... wearing soft gloves (test the different fabricks) will help alleviate noise... PRACTICE AND REHEARSAL will help alleviate noise. Booming is a dance. Practice makes the moves more fluid, more fluid makes for less noise.

Okay thanks. Their actually is no audible noise to the human ear. I am being very quiet, and the noise is only heard by the mic itself. The mic is picking up something that the human ear cannot hear, and it sounds like shock.

I am indoors and not using a deadcat or blimp. Just the mic with it's foamy cover that came with it. The mic is plugged into a FR2-LE recorder and that recorder has a high pass filter, on it. But the PSM already told me not activate it cause it brings down sound quality, cause we wanna hear those low bass parts of the actors voices.

I am indoors and not using a deadcat or blimp.

Use the blimp without the dead cat indoors.

The ... recorder has a high pass filter on...

NEVER use any type of EQ or filters on production sound or other field recordings unless absolutely necessary - like in extreme high wind conditions. You can easily take frequencies out of a recording; it's very difficult to add frequencies back in and make it sound natural.

the hyper (the AT4053b) makes noises as I shift from person to person

You may need a different shock-mount for the AT4053b. Didn't it come with one when you purchased it?

Is the mic properly seated in the shock-mount? Also check on cable lengths (too much or not enough tension), how the cable is wrapped around the boom-pole, check the cables for breaks, check the mic for internal integrity, check the FR-2 inputs, etc. Do a complete troubleshoot.

And, as always, there's your skill set. Booming well is HARD.

How's your arm strength? Doing LOTS of had/wrist/arm/shoulder exercises every day?

Out of newbie curiosity, just how horrible is it to use a dead cat indoors? My ears aren't discerning enough to hear the downsides, but I can sometimes hear what I think is wind noise just with quick movements indoors without it.

Okay thanks. The mic did not come with a shock mount when I bought it. It came with one of those things that holds the mic, but it's not a shock mount. The shock mount I am using is a DIY one from a tutorial. It holds the mics fine, and it works for the shotgun, but I will get a blimp and try it. It's definitely something to do with the 4053b itself cause I keep doing different tests, and doing all the same tests with the NTG-3 and the NTG-3 has no problems at all.

My arm strength is good. A 13 minute take was my longest so far and got the dialogue sharp and crisp, I was told. That was with the shotgun, and no shock noise when moving it.

Last edited:
To be totally honest it just sounds like you are making issues for yourself, stop trying to complicate things. Use the mic the director wants and sounds good ...and just get on with it!

True, but I would like to get better for my own projects. I think the hyper sounds slightly better indoors than the shotgun, so I was interested in perfecting my movements with it. Just for my own knowledge to help myself. And I like helping out the director too with whatever I can.

Back