Question about audio playback in premiere pro.

For a short film project, I recorded audio with my Fostex FR2-LE recorder, and recorded two microphones into it. Unfortunately, the recorder only records on a stereo track, so I had to record two actors on separate mics both onto a stereo track, which I can split apart in the editing.

However, is there a way to playback the audio in premiere, in a way, in which I can only listen to one channel only, instead of having to listen to them both at the same time playback?

Yeah I could but then that actually changes the effect of the clip. I wanted to be able to listen in playback without changing the actual effect until later. But if I have to do it that way, then I will.

Thanks.

think!

You can use those tracks twice!
One with fill right, and one fill left.
Than you can mute one of the actors in one click, by muting the whole track.

Last edited:
Just pan both the left channel and the right channel to the center.

duh-duh.jpg

Really? PP does not allow you to adjust the stereo field (panning) of stereo tracks or even mono-out stereo tracks? THAT is really stupid!

I would then suggest splitting the tracks and panning both to the center.

it allows you to pan or adjust left or right channels or swap or pan both to one side.
But you can't move left and right to center with 1 stereo copy of the audiofile.
On a stereotrack Premiere does not 'see' a center speaker.
Fastest way is to either create mono tracks or a second stereo track and have 1 fill left and the other fill right, so they behave as center tracks on a stereo system.

And perhaps it is save to assume that H44's computer has a soundcard which is stereo and 2 speakers. (I know assumptions are dangerous.)

How many NLEs have you worked with?
In my experience they are pretty basic mixing tools: adequaat for simple stereo stuff, lacking for a full 5.1+ mix.

I don't play with NLEs at all.

My understanding is that H44 recorded one actor on the left channel and one actor on the right channel of the FR-2, assuming that he did his panning correctly.

is there a way to playback the audio [where] I can only listen to one channel only?

My assumption here is that he only wants to hear the dialog of one actor at a time while he is editing. In this case he needs separate control over each channel. So he needs to split the stereo track into two (2) mono tracks in order to have individual control.

Perhaps these are pertinent:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-separate-audio-channels/

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7f42a.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sJnbCrd74

He can go to modify and let the audio be interpreted as 2 mono tracks.
But that only works for files not used in the edit. (Comparable to not being allowed to rename a text document while it is opened.)
Let each actor have it's own track: et voila, they can be muted in one click.

So the other way is to dublicates of the stereotrack.
One with fill to left (only the right channel audible, but on both channels), one with fill to right (the left version).
Make sure both actors have their own audiotrack, so either one of them can be muted, by muting the whole track.

It depends on the current progress of the edit which method is more efficient.
Just starting: split.
Advanced: doubling tracks. But beware: you need to apply the fill effects correctly to all the shots. So, in the end starting over with mono tracks can be more efficient sometimes.

Back