Question about airsoft guns.

I've noticed some threads on them here and there, but isn't filming using airsofts a bad idea, because air softs do not look like real guns. Well they do, but when you fire them, you cannot seen casings spit out the side, so doesn't that make it look fake on screen?

Ok look, dude.

I've been coming to these forums for about six or seven months now. I don't post that often though, because 95% of my questions have ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. I'm here to try and learn, and maybe contribute when I feel I have something to offer. All you have to do is take a little bit of time to do the research, either on the forum or on google. All it takes is a little bit of initiative. Your incessant questions are really getting on my nerves.

In regards to your question, from everyone I've heard who uses airsoft guns to film, the shells are added in post production to give it some realism. The higher end pistols (in the $100-$300) use propane to operate, and do have blowback action. That should fool all but the most observant viewer.

I've been coming to these forums for about six or seven months now. I don't post that often though, because 95% of my questions have ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. I'm here to try and learn, and maybe contribute when I feel I have something to offer. All you have to do is take a little bit of time to do the research, either on the forum or on google. All it takes is a little bit of initiative.

This is the approach i took years ago and even after joining this forum and still do when i have a question.

Well said and i wish more ppl did this.

We just use real guns with blanks. They are no more dangerous than airsoft guns, and look very real. The danger with either is not your guns or crew at all. Here in Sunnyvale, a city with no crime whatsoever, a police sniper shot an 18 year old kid with an airsoft gun. He died. He had painted over the orange "fake gun" tip, to make the airsoft gun more filmable. Not saying that would happen to you, but the cops shot a lady holding a spatula in a dark room because she was yelling and waving around "a dangerous looking item" the previous year.

Whatever gun or substitute you use, go to your local police first, and spell out your filming plans and times to them. You can also rent an off duty cop to supervise. It's not that expensive. Back in Indiana, we used to rent them for "Kegger insurance", because the cops wouldn't bust a party where one of their own was working.

I can't imagine using Airsoft guns for filming unless they would never be fired on screen. Whenever filming anywhere that the public might see what you are doing and be alarmed, make certain that the police know that there is a movie being shot and secure any permits that might be required.

Airsoft guns are a fine tool for filmmaking. Remember, for movies it doesn't have to feel/look real in real life, just on screen. Half the sets we see are cardboard and plywood.

Take a look at some of our videos. In Noble in particular, we used both real and Airsoft guns (armorer on set/extra safety precautions etc). I challenge you to pick out which is which.

Airsoft guns work great in filming. Not in every instance, and for ultimate realism, REAL guns that fire blanks are the best, but I notice the original poster is from Canada like myself haha and here it's like going through hell and back to get replica firearms. Airsoft guns are much easier to get in Canada.

Ok look, dude.

I've been coming to these forums for about six or seven months now. I don't post that often though, because 95% of my questions have ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. I'm here to try and learn, and maybe contribute when I feel I have something to offer. All you have to do is take a little bit of time to do the research, either on the forum or on google. All it takes is a little bit of initiative. Your incessant questions are really getting on my nerves.

In regards to your question, from everyone I've heard who uses airsoft guns to film, the shells are added in post production to give it some realism. The higher end pistols (in the $100-$300) use propane to operate, and do have blowback action. That should fool all but the most observant viewer.

i understand what your saying but this is the newbies forums these question fill this fourm yah?

and i use airsoft guns, but thats because i dont have the budgets others do, i film independently with my friends.. we just tape up the orange, and add sound effects, the flash, and shells if needed.. its simple just watch some tutorials on youtube on how to make the effects look good using after effects or soemthing like that

You can add the bullet casing in After Effects. If you have the Action Essentials pack then you have a bunch of bullet cases. Just add a position keyframe to have them fly out of the gun.

Okay when I shoot something with guns then, I'll use airsoft, and I read you can add the muzzle flash in post too, since airsoft guns don't have the same flash, and will look very fake if you don't add it in probably.

There's often an error beginning directors make in trying to make a prop LOOK real as opposed to FEEL real. One of the best ways to make a prop FEEL realistic is to NOT emphasize it unless its crucial to the plot.

Unless you're doing a long take closeup and need blowback action, there's very little reason you can't make even a $18 airsoft pistol FEEL real. Just put the focus on the character and what he/she is accomplishing with the gun as opposed to emphasizing the gun on screen. (CHEAP SPAM ALERT!) I cover this in the newest episode of our tutorial series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9AbsgXv7-k

We just use real guns with blanks. They are no more dangerous than airsoft guns, and look very real. The danger with either is not your guns or crew at all. Here in Sunnyvale, a city with no crime whatsoever, a police sniper shot an 18 year old kid with an airsoft gun. He died. He had painted over the orange "fake gun" tip, to make the airsoft gun more filmable. Not saying that would happen to you, but the cops shot a lady holding a spatula in a dark room because she was yelling and waving around "a dangerous looking item" the previous year.

Wow...It's no wonder there's no crime whatsoever in your city.... Here in New Zealand, most cops don't even carry guns, with the exception of SWAT of course. Cops generally carry tasers instead, which is suppose to be more harmless. Then again, here in New Zealand, it's very hard for anyone to get their hands on a gun anyway, so i suppose tasers are good enough for most situations.

Ok look, dude.

I've been coming to these forums for about six or seven months now. I don't post that often though, because 95% of my questions have ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED. I'm here to try and learn, and maybe contribute when I feel I have something to offer. All you have to do is take a little bit of time to do the research, either on the forum or on google. All it takes is a little bit of initiative. Your incessant questions are really getting on my nerves. .

AHAHAHAHA!!!! So I'm not crazy?? :lol:

Use airsoft, they look authentic.

Sure I didn't think airsoft could pass for that real, with after effects and all. Since we're on the subject, it seems it may be cheaper to shoot a gunfight then a fistfight. I have written a feature I wanna shoot once I feel I am ready, and I have written mostly fist fights or fights with knives and clubs, etc. But perhaps gunfights are cheaper to film, since they don't require near as much choreography, and more of the work is done in post. I will film some gunfights and fistfights, and figure out which is cheaper, cause if guns are then I might write more action scenes with those.

Last edited:
Sure I didn't think airsoft could pass for that real, with after effects and all. Since we're on the subject, it seems it may be cheaper to shoot a gunfight then a fistfight. I have written a feature I wanna shoot once I feel I am ready, and I have written mostly fist fights or fights with knives and clubs, etc. But perhaps gunfights are cheaper to film, since they don't require near as much choreography, and more of the work is done in post. I will film some gunfights and fistfights, and figure out which is cheaper, cause if guns are then I might write more action scenes with those.

Gun fights require as much choreograph as fist fights or sword fights. The actors needs to learn how to hold a gun in a convincing way, how to aim, to reload and look professional, and it especially take practice for the actor to recreate convincing recoils.

Note: Convincing does not equal real. Just need to fool the audience into buying what they see.

I haven't read all the posts but in case anyone hasn't made the suggestion already - I think you should scrap the idea of airsoft guns and instead use real guns and ammo preferably in the middle of the nearest major City. This way you:

1. Won't need to do anything in post
2. Your actors will have realistic expressions on their faces
3. If you do enough firing of weapons and running around in your City centre, you'll get rather a lot of interest from authentic-looking police turning up shooting lots of realistic-looking weaponry - this will keep your SFX, costume, prop and personnel costs down and you can have a huge cast for zero cost if you run fast enough (remember to zig zag, those little bullet things can sting).
4. If you are lucky and committed enough, the army will turn up and you might have armoured cars, tanks etc... which will look fabulous - guerilla filming at its best.
5. Loads of free publicity

All-in-all, this is the way forward and if you are an actor / director, I suggest you lead the way. An AK should be your weapon of choice as I believe this will attract maximum attention, particularly if you dress up and do a passable Bin Laden impersonation.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

Last edited:
Gun fights require as much choreograph as fist fights or sword fights. The actors needs to learn how to hold a gun in a convincing way, how to aim, to reload and look professional, and it especially take practice for the actor to recreate convincing recoils.

Note: Convincing does not equal real. Just need to fool the audience into buying what they see.

True. But training your actors in combat tactics might take longer, than training them how to hold a gun. Sometimes in movies it seems that the reloads look too professional though. In real life people might panic on a reload and shake while trying to do it. So I don't want to look to professional, especially since some of the characters in the story, although combat trained, have not seen much combat yet in their lives.

easiest anser is...
Don't do a movie with a lot of gunplay until you can afford to hire a firearms guy amd use professional grade blank guns under close supervision with trained actors.

For a few shots of a gun (my movie has a cop at a door with a combat shotgun that he pumps) airsoft work great and are cheap.

Back