ProRes or ProRes HQ

I've just ordered a Ninja2 to use with my Nikon D800. Among the codec options on it are ProRes and ProRes HQ. I'm wondering whether the larger file sizes with the latter are justified by a significant increase in quality. Any thoughts?

I edit on FCPX and mostly the final target will be DVD and Blu-Ray, although we're considering festival submissions, so projection is a possibility...

This summer, I shot my short on a 5Dmk3 & rented Ninja2 (ProResHQ). No regrets at all. The night scenes and green screen footage turned out great; very gradable. Although we all work in VFX, we were pretty careless with how we lit the screen screen shots, and it still turned out fine. I'm editing on a 2009 Macbook Pro and everything played smoothly, but I had to render clips which used complex effects filters. You will need to have a decent amount of drive space.

Tip:
- Make sure you know to set BOTH the camera & the Ninja to progressive!
- Have lots of extra batteries for the Ninja. One night, we ran out and had to shoot to the camera (H.264) for several shots.
- The Ninja monitor is useless in direct sunlight (bring a hood).
- The miniHDMI connector on the 5D was unreliable. DP had to machine a clamp to hold it in.

Regards,

Thomas

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. The Ninja's arrived and I'm about to do some testing with it. I currently have four batteries, but am thinking of getting a couple more. One problem I had is that the charger - which is slow - fails to indicate when the battery is charged. I opened a support ticket with Atomos and, within a few hours, they'd decided that the charger must be faulty and shipped a new one to me (hasn't arrived yet, but then I'm in France).

Back