• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ProRes HQ too much?

Heya :)

I was contemplating filming in Apple ProRes HQ for an upcoming feature project. I think I can manage the added space of the ProRes via an eSATA, but I wanted to ask you guys that have experience with the codec before, whether you think my machine might be able to handle editing it. I only have ever worked with AVCHD and ProRes 422 Proxy, which the computer deals with just fine. Here are da specs.

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4510U @ 2.00 - 2.600 GHz
RAM - 16 Gb
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 850M (4 GB)
Windows 8.1

I'm going to principally be using Adobe Premiere CC and maybe SpeedGrade on it.

Thanks so much! ;)

So long as you don't do anything stupid, sure, you'll be fine. My computer is way less than yours and handles that fine.

Your HDD is more likely to end up being your bottle neck.

THANKS SO MUCH, Sweetie and Will!

Yikes... Is there something else I might be able to use. I researched the eSATA situation, and evidently I can go up to 3Gbps, while the ProRes was only 220Mbps. I also have a USB 3.0 that can allegedly do 5Gbps.

If you guys have suggestions, sil vous plait! I'd really like to fix anything I might be able to fix before I go into this a few months from now. Though I'm not like 1000% certain, I doubt my laptop will take more internal storage, so external might just be my way out. If there's a way to minimize / optimize it, I'd loooooove to hear it!

Thanks so so much!!!

Most likely you'll be fine. But if you have multiple clips overlapping on a timeline you could run into stuttering issues. You'll also get better performance rendering to a different drive than your source drive.

Best option for video editing is always some form of RAID solution. Whether that's internal, or external via a fast interface.

Laptops really aren't the ideal tool for editing, but most modern laptops are perfectly capable of editing HD footage without much issue.

eSATA is a good option. USB3 is also acceptable... the real benefit you get with USB is it's a lot more common, so if you're going to be sharing that drive with anyone else, it'd probably be a better choice.

In either case, there are some external raid solutions available for both types of connection interface. While RAID is likely overkill for your specific editing needs, it may still be worth looking into some kind of external RAID5 for longer term storage.

Thanks you guys for all the input.

I know a laptop is far from ideal, but you have what you have, right? Though when I have the money for it, the laptop is going to be the first thing to change.

Is a laptop an absolute necessity? I assumed you'll be editing on field hence the laptop? If that's not the case, with the money you would spend on that laptop, you could build a very good PC.

Last edited:
Yeah, holocene. Sweetie's got that right.

I sort of own the laptop already. I knew at the time of purchase that it'd be a second rate solution for video editing, but being a student that travels internationally atleast twice a year, I needed to knock two birds with one stone and have a portable computer on me, that could move with me.

If I could sell it and build a machine out of the money I got, it'd be a no-brainer, but I don't think it'll sell for half of what I'd need, based on what ebay has me believing =/

Back